Spanish Manor House - Zabytek.pl
Sopot, Niepodległości 781
woj. pomorskie, pow. m. Sopot, gm. Sopot-gmina miejska
It is one of the oldest buildings in Sopot. The first storey of the manor house was built using the half-timbered construction technique, traditional in Pomerania.
At least since the 16th century, wealthy merchants and patricians from Gdańsk had built their summer residences, called manor houses, in the village of Sopot. The 2nd Manor House, called the Spanish Manor House, existed probably already in the 16th century and was one of the oldest residences of that kind in Sopot. The origins of its name are not known; perhaps it is connected with signing the Peace of Oliva in 1660 and the fact that the representative of the king of Spain, who took part in the negotiations, might have stayed in Sopot in that building. Jakub Cleefeldt, a son of the mayor of Gdańsk, was the first known owner of the property. He took it over in 1594. In the 17th century, the manor house had numerous owners, e.g. representatives of the finest bourgeois families from Gdańsk: Jerzy Cleefeldt, Dawid Schum, Barbara Rogge, Hieronim Broen, Korneliusz Cruyssaert, Joachim Ravens, Judyta and Ernst Uphagen, and Maria Colbe-Giesebrecht. In the 18th century, the estate was owned by Konkordia Ross, Wirginia Heinkirch, von Rexin family (starting from 1737), Przebendowski family (starting from 1756), and Karol Wegner (starting from 1804). According to the plan of Sopot from 1714, the property was located near the village square and the route from Gdańsk to Puck and Wejherowo. By the manor house, there was the Środkowy Stream and a garden. The first manor house was probably wooden; the brick building was erected presumably in the 1680s. In 1734, during the war, the Spanish Manor House was burnt down. In the early 1820s, the building was adapted into a post station. At that time, the first storey, using the half-timbered construction technique, was built. The elements that have survived from the 17th-century building were only the basement with a barrel vault and the external walls of the ground floor. In 1876, the building was adapted into a school for boys, and in 1903, into residential premises. In the 20th century, the surroundings of the building changed radically; the garden and the stream ceased to exist. In the late 1970s, the manor house was in a terrible technical condition. It was earmarked for demolition, yet survived, thanks to the intervention of Professor J. Stankiewicz. In 1979-1981, the building underwent restoration, and in 2006 it was renovated. In recent years, the building has been serving as a restaurant.
The manor house is located in the central part of Sopot, on the eastern side of Niepodległości Alley, on a small rectangular plot, right next to the pavement and the roadway. It is a free-standing and front-gabled building. At the western façade, there is a narrow, one-storey annex. The manor house neighbours dense rows of tenement buildings. The manor house was erected on a rectangular floor plan. It is a two-storey building, covered with a gable roof. The ground floor is made of brick, the first storey is a half-timbered structure with brick infills. Façades are symmetrical (except for the eastern façade). Door openings are rectangular. Windows are modern, rectangular, and divided into many panes of glass. In the ground floor, there are wooden shutters. The half-timbered structure is clearly visible: in the gables, there are posts and beams positioned so as to form a chequered pattern.
No visitor access to the monument.
compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 26-01-2015.
- Gawlicki M., Dwór Hiszpański w narożniku sopockiego placu wiejskiego, Rocznik Sopocki 1980-81, Sopot 1983, s. 51-59.
Category: manor house
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_22_BK.57581