Manor house and orangery, Solniki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

An example of a Classicist residence formed from a modified Renaissance defensive manor house.

History

In Solniki, the estate, for the first time mentioned in the sources together with a church in 1295 as Czolnik (including a vineyard), belonged to Jeszko de Sonburn. Sources from 1539 mention a local grange. Approximately at that time, Solniki was purchased by Wenzel von Braun. Over time, probably on the initiative of Konrad von Braun, a Renaissance defensive manor farm was erected in the place of an unknown older complex. In the 2nd half of the 17th century, the building was extended. In the early 19th century, the estate in Solniki was owned by General Wilhelm von Dobschütz. On his initiative, the manor house was re-designed. The Renaissance building, circumscribed by a moat, was transformed into a Classicist residence. In the late 1830s, the estate became property of the von Gleim family whose members managed it until 1945. In mid-19th century, new buildings were added to the local grange. Approx. in 1900, tower avant-corps and terrace were built. The last German owner of the estate, Arthur von Gleim, died in 1937; his wife resided in the manor house until 1945. In the years 1945-1948, Russian soldiers stationed in Solniki, running here a military agricultural farm. In 1948, Solniki was taken over by the Polish authorities, and a State Agricultural Holding (PGR) was organised in it. In the 1990s, the complex of post-manor buildings went into the hands of private owners. It was thoroughly renovated at that time.

Description

The manor house in Solniki is a brick, two-storey building with basements, built on a trapezoidal floor plan with annexes. It is covered with a hip roof with eyebrow dormers. In the front façade, there is main entrance, flanked with pilasters supporting a cornice with a dentilled frieze. In the corners of the façade, there are fluted pilasters. Additional architectural details include cornice and window casings. By the northern façade, there is a glazed veranda with a triangular pediment resting on four grooved piers. The pediment is adorned with a dentilled frieze. Until today, elements of historical décor have survived in the manor house interiors, such as wood panelling in the hall and the vestibule, door joinery, and wooden staircase with a balustrade with profiled balusters. One of the rooms is decorated with a profiled crown moulding and a plafond; in a couple of others one can find original parquet flooring.

By the manor house, there is a park and a garden with an orangery and a gardener’s house. The orangery is a single-storey Classicist building erected in the early 19th century on an elongated rectangle floor plan. In the front façade, there is the entrance door. Another entrance opening, flanked by pilasters supporting a pediment with a cornice, is located in the western façade. The orangery, covered with a hip roof, is connected with the gardener’s house. The latter is a single-storey building, reconstructed in the years 1986-1988, at the time in which the State Agricultural Holding operated.

The complex can be viewed from the outside all year round.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 24-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 282-283.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 344-345.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: ok. poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Solniki
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Kożuchów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area