Auxiliary church of St Anne, Sobótka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Auxiliary church of St Anne

Sobótka

photo

Initially designed as a pilgrimage church, this Gothic edifice features a surviving chapel in its chancel which had once housed the miraculous figure of St Anne.

History

The Church of St Anne was originally erected in the 14th century, serving as a pilgrimage chapel located beyond the town limits. In addition, the building also served as a cemetery church. In the first quarter of the 16th century, the church was substantially extended, with the original structure serving as the chancel for a new, three-nave main body following a hall layout, with a tower in its south-western section. A small, rectangular chapel of St Anne, designed to accommodate the miraculous figure, was added to the eastern side of the chancel. Following the ravages of the Thirty Years’ War, the church underwent restoration in 1661. In 1726 the chancel received a new vaulted ceiling, while the damaged tower was reconstructed. In 1948, a restoration of the entire church took place, intended to remedy the losses incurred during wartime. The most recent renovation works took place in 1977.

Description

The church is located beyond the historic centre of the town, on the north-western side thereof, surrounded by a now-defunct cemetery.

It is oriented towards the east, its walls made of brick and stone and partially covered with plaster. The main body of the church follows a three-nave, four bay layout, with the entire building following a hall layout. The chancel is a single-nave structure with a semi-hexagonal end section. A small, single-bay chapel of St Anne, designed on a rectangular floor plan, adjoins the eastern side of the chancel, while a two-bay sacristy abuts the southern wall thereof. The western part of the southern façade is adjoined by a tower designed to house the staircase.

The chancel and the sacristy are covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, adorned with geometric motifs, while the chapel of St Anne features cross-rib vaulting. The main body of the church features a flat, beamed ceiling.

The walls of the church are reinforced with massive, stepped buttresses. The western façade is topped with a triangular gable adorned with two rows of rectangular blind windows. The main body and the chancel are both covered with gable roofs, while the tower is crowned with a bulbous cupola with a lantern on top. Both the nave and the chancel feature pointed-arch windows. The eastern façade of the chapel of St Anne features an oculus above the entrance, adorned with stone tracery incorporating a fish bladder ornament, with the monogram of the Order of Saint Augustine positioned directly above the oculus.

The interior of the nave is partitioned with two rows of octagonal pillars supporting a series of pointed arches above. The fixtures and fittings of the church include a Baroque main altarpiece (ca. 1725), incorporating a painting of Virgin Mary with Child and St Anne, the side altarpiece dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows (1685), the altarpiece of the Fourteen Holy Helpers (ca. 1720) and the pulpit from 1726. Another notable item is the Late Gothic baptismal font made of granite (early 16th century). The church is also home to numerous Baroque figures of various saints, positioned on supporting corbels, alongside the walls and the pillars. Inside the chapel, visitors can admire the Late Gothic tabernacle topped with an ogee arch, adorned with escutcheons bearing the monogram of the Order of Saint Augustine and the stonemason’s mark.

Two stone sculptures: then so-called “Mushroom” sculpture, believed to originate from the early Middle Ages, as well as a Romanesque lion from the second quarter of the 12th century, can be found in the former cemetery.

The site is open to visitors.

compiled by Maria Czyszczoń, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 31-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Landkreises Breslau, Frankfurt am Main 1965, pp. 367-372.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, seria nowa, vol. IV, issue 2. Województwo wrocławskie, Sobótka, Kąty Wrocławskie i okolice, Warsaw 1991, pp. 108-112.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 785.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1. ćw. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sobótka
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district wrocławski, commune Sobótka - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area