Parish Church of St Martin - Zabytek.pl
Śnieciska, Kościelna 13
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. średzki, gm. Zaniemyśl-gmina wiejska
The untransformed wooded surroundings of the closed graveyard with a wooden fence and a free-standing wooden bell tower reflect the nature of typical wooden churches of Greater Poland serving relatively small local communities.
The village was first mentioned in 1257 as property of the chapter in Gniezno. In the second half of the 16th century (1578), it was leased by Stanisław Gunicki, and at the beginning of the 17th century (1618) by a Gniezno canon named Grabowski. Following the confiscation of the Church estate conducted by the Prussian government, Śnieciska became private property.
The first mentions of the parish of the church of St Martin, which likely already existed in the 12th-13th century, date back to 1416. The existing church was built in 1767 thanks to the efforts of priest Franciszek Brzeziński by master carpenter Jan Ślumski (inscription in the sacristy). It was consecrated in 1793 by bishop Franciszek Rydzyński. As part of the restoration works performed in 1926, the little treasure was transformed into a chapel of the Heart of Jesus and decorations were painted according to the design of Wiktor Gosieniecki. The church underwent renovation works in the 1960s and in 1994.
The parish church of St Martin in Śnieciska is situated on a small hill in the centre of the village. It is not oriented and its chancel faces north-west. The surroundings of the church, separated by a wooden fence with a brick foundation and posts, consist of an old wooded graveyard with some preserved headstones from the late 19th and early 20th century, as well as a wooden bell tower from the 19th century with an open post-and-beam structure and a gable roof, located to the north-east of the church. In addition, the graveyard contains a grotto of the Virgin Mary from 1946 and a small morgue.
The wooden church was built on a rectangular floor plan, with a slightly narrower chancel on the western side and a porch on the eastern side. The church is adjoined by the chapel of Christ on the southern side and the sacristy on the northern side. The log walls, covered vertically with weatherboards on the outside and reinforced with clamps, rest upon a brick foundation which in part has been replaced with concrete. The structure of the roof truss is supported by a double queen post, and the roof is covered with wood shingles.
The interior features three naves, separated by three rows of posts. The ceiling structure of the central nave and the chancel is covered with weatherboards and has rounded corners, the ceiling structure of the side naves is covered with flat weatherboards, and the chapel has a coffered ceiling. The convex wooden choir is supported by pillars.
From the fittings, the main altar from the second half of the 18th century, Rococo and Baroque side altars, the rood beam with a Late-Gothic crucifix, and the Gothic baptismal font made of stone are worth particular attention. Inside the chancel, painted decorations depicting St Martin and the founders of the decorations - rittmeister Popliński and priest Faustmann - draw particular attention.
The church can be viewed from the outside. Holy Masses: Sundays at 8.30 and 10.30 a.m., weekdays at 6.00 p.m., public holidays falling on weekdays at 9.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m.
compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 13-10-2014.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V: Województwo poznańskie, z. 24: Powiat średzki, oprac. red. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1964, s. 20-21.
- Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 254.
- Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 357.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.169074, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.435947