Manor house and park complex, Binkowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house and park complex

Binkowice

photo

The manor house and park complex in Śmiłów is one of the most precious examples of this type of edifices to be found in Małopolska, with the manor house featuring a recessed portico, perhaps added later.

History

The village was first mentioned in 1479 as a possession of the Czyżowski family; it remained their property until the mid-18th century. Next owners were the Szczepanowskis and, before 1789, the Wiercińskis. Józef Wierciński is attributed the construction of the present house, perhaps in the place of a former one. Later, the property was acquired by the Baczyńsskis, In 1935 they sold Śmiłów to the company, Aleksander Janasz i Synowie - Danków. After 1945 the property was nationalized and adapted to the needs to various institutions: it served as a police station, day room, offices of the local plant breeding station and apartments for farm workers. The house and park were gradually devastated. In 1986 the manor house and the remains of the park were purchased by Bogdan and Janina Szczerbowska née Wągrowska. Today, after renovation and restoration of the equipment, the building is a private museum of gentry house interiors. The owners have recently acquired the outbuilding. The historic granary is located on the premises of the Plant Conservation Station.

Description

A manor house complex located on the north side of road Przybysławice-Chrapanów road is an isolated area of ​​a former farm. The Baroque house is set amidst the remains of the park; it is built on a rectangular plan on the east-west axis.  Its main body is flanked by two smaller annexes. Before the front, south façade, there is a four-column portico strongly protruding from the façade.  The garden, north façade has a six-column recessed portico.  In its central part, the house is covered with a “Polish” mansard roof with its lower plane slightly sunk; in it, four eyebrows symmetrically arranged on both sides of the portico. The annexes and avant-corps covered with separate gable roofs. The ten-axis front façade with a strongly projecting portico on the axis. The portico is topped with a triangular gable framed by a cornice decorated with moldings with a cubic frieze. The front façade is divided by pilasters at the corners and deep in the portico. On the front façade of the annexes, there are paneled blind windows. All façades are finished with a profiled cornice. The layout of the house is two-bay with the hall and the living room along the central axis. The room in an en suite arrangement. An outbuilding located on the east side of the road to the farm, along the line of the wall encircling of the former farm. It is a brick, rectangular structure facing west; storied and covered with a gable roof with a jerking head. The axis of the façade is a storied avant-corps a pair of spaced columns on the ground level and a balcony on the first floor. The balcony bay on the first floor of profiled and ogival. The avant-corps is covered with a separate gable roof. The upper levels of all the façades are separated by a string course and crowned with a profiled cornice. There is a granary located among the farm buildings to the north-east of the house. It is a brick-and-stone structure, facing north, on a rectangular plan; it has one floor, is covered with a gable roof with flute pipes and shingles. From the front, there are overhangs with wall dormers on the sides. On the axis of the overhang, a double-leaf gate to the hallway, covered with a canopy supported by Doric columns. Out of the former park complex, a few old trees are left, including one of the monumental nature. The park is currently being reconstructed.

Private property. Manor interior museum. The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Marek Juszczyk, 07.12.2014.

Bibliography

  • Stec-Kwaśniewicz J., Śmiłów - przeszłość i współczesność. Na marginesie wycieczki szkoleniowej, (in:) Zeszyty Przewodnickie Koła Przewodników PTTK w Sandomierzu, No 6, Sandomierz 2011.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: lata 80. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Binkowice
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district opatowski, commune Ożarów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area