Hospital chapel of St George, currently an exhibition hall, Słupsk
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Hospital chapel of St George, currently an exhibition hall

Słupsk

photo

The Gothic chapel of St George is one of few central chapels in Central Pomerania.

History

The chapel is one of the elements of the presently non-existent medieval hospital of St George, erected outside the town walls, by the Szczecin Route (currently Tuwima street). The exact date of the construction of the chapel is not known; scientists suggest that it was built in the 1st or the 2nd half of the 15th century. The terminus ante quem is 1492, when the first written mention about the chapel appeared. Within the Reformation period, the chapel was neglected. It was renovated only in 1610, with mayor J. Hoppe acting as the founder of the renovation, and then services were resumed. In 1681, the roof and probably the vault was destroyed by a fire. The chapel was rebuilt in 1689. In 1903, the hospital buildings were dismantled and in 1912, the chapel was dismantled and moved to a new site. In 1960, the building underwent renovation; roof tiles were replaced with wood shingles. Since 2000, the chapel has been functioning as an exhibition hall of the S. Morawski Visual Arts Club, operating as part of the Słupsk Culture Centre.

Description

The chapel is located in the eastern part of the wooded square of Blessed B. Kostkowski, circumscribed within the historical fore-wall by Jagiełły, Zamkowa, Jana Pawła II, and Dominikańska streets. The Gothic chapel, one of the central chapels of Central Pomerania, was erected on a floor plan of an irregular octagon. The body of the building has stout proportions and is covered with a cupola roof topped with a lantern. The foundations of the chapel are made of stone ashlars, the walls are made of brick, with the use of ceramic fittings, and partly plastered. The ceiling is made of wood, and the roof is clad with wood shingles. The façades feature a frame composition; the plastered sections of the wall are framed on the sides with brick lesenes (on the truncated corners), from the bottom with a stone plinth, and from the top with a frieze separated with a cornice. Windows are round, placed in the upper half of the wall, circumscribed with a half-roller. From the west, there is a lavishly profiled pointed-arch 4-step portal. In the interior, there are 8 deep niches with barrel vaults. On the face of massive piers between niches, there are angled lesenes with clusters of ribs ended with a stone support (an evidence that probably there used to be a vault). There are no movable fittings in the interior.

The chapel is accessible to visitors. Visiting the interior is possible only during the club exhibitions. http://sok.slupsk.pl/41-pracownie/plastyka/o-klubie .

compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 25-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Architektura gotycka w Polsce, red. T. Mroczko i M. Arszyńskiego, Warszawa 1995, t. 2, s. 210.
  • Grzybkowski A., Gotyckie kaplice centralne Pomorza Środkowego, [w:] Sztuka Pomorza Zachodniego, red. Z. Świechowski, Warszawa 1973, s. 91-138.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Słupsk
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district Słupsk, commune Słupsk - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area