Hillfort, Słupnica
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

An example of late Medieval stronghold known in a local tradition as Teutonic Fortress.

Location and description

The hillfort is located in the valley of the Młynówka river, ca. 150 m from the bifurcation of the roads leading to Słupnica in the direction of Łasina and Biskupiec. The closest buildings of the village are located ca. 300 m along a straight line. The site is situated within the area of Las Słupnicki Nature and Landscape Complex. This area is marked and under protection. Defense complex in Słupnica was set on a plan of an irregular quadrilateral with the dimensions at the basis of 44 – 44.5 x 50 – 51 m and sharply ended corners. The upper surface of the site with the following dimensions: 20.5-21 x 23.4-24, is flat. The structure borders the river bed with its north-eastern and south-eastern hill. Hillfort is surrounded by a moat. The height of the cone in comparison to the moat bottom equals 7-8 metres. On the external side of the moat there is a rampart the height of which is 1.1 - 1.3 m. From the south-eastern side there are two parallel segmental ramparts.

History

The site is situated within the area of Słupnica village located in 1346 by the bishops of Pomorze. First settlement phase dates back to the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 14th century. II phase of the hillfort use dates back to the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century. An early modern phase of settlement with basically unspecified chronological framework was also identified.

The site known as Stęgwałd (Stangewalde) was described in the inter-war period by Władysław Łęga as a highland hillfort.

Condition and results of archaeological research

In 1984 the site was subject to surface surveys. In the years 1996-1997 on behalf of the Museum in Grudziądz excavations were conducted in the hillfort by Małgorzata Kurzyńska. Based on those surveys it is claimed that the hillfort was established on artifically raised mound. No clear traces of buildings of the hillfort interior were found, which suggests that its refugial function or a role of the watchtower guarding the crossing of the river. Acquired mobile historic material in the forms of vessels fragments enabled to specify the hillfort dates and to distinguish the phases of its use.

The monument is open to visitors.

Compiled by Adam Mackiewicz, 7.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Kurzyńska M., Sprawozdanie z badań weryfikacyjno-wiertniczych na gródku stożkowatym w Słupnicy, gm. Biskupiec, st. 1, 1996 r. mps w archiwum WUOZ w Olsztynie.
  • Łega W., Kultura Pomorza we wczesnym średniowieczu, Toruń 1929, s.557

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: 1280-1310
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Słupnica
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district nowomiejski, commune Biskupiec
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area