Parish Roman Catholic church of St Nicholas - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. szamotulski, gm. Obrzycko-gmina wiejska
The building is an example of an old Gothic layout, typical of wooden provincial architecture from the Counter-Reformation period. The walls and ceiling inside the church are covered with painted decorations from the years 1695-1701, in late Renaissance and Baroque style with folk features. The church fittings are predominantly Baroque.
Since 1218, Słopanowo belonged to the Cistercian monastery in Łękno. The parish most probably existed as early as the 14th century. The existence of the church is confirmed by sources from 1510. In the mid-16th century, the village was owned by Włostowicki and Kąsinowski families, who gave the church to the Protestants. The subsequent owners - Zbyszewski family, restored the Catholic rite.
- 1695-1699 - construction of the present church, founded by Jan Kęsinowski, judge from Wałcz, the then owner of the village.
- 1699 - consecration of the church of St Nicholas
- 1699-1701- creation of the late Renaissance and Baroque painted decorations in the church’s interior
- 1951-1953 - renovation of the church
- 1953-1954 - conservation of the painted decorations
- 1984 - complete renovation of the roof (partial replacement of the roof truss, new wood shingles)
- 1990s - reconstruction of the tower and new weatherboards
Słopanowo is a small village located approx. 9 km to the north-west of Szamotuły, on the western side of the road to Czarnków. The church is situated on the eastern edge of the village, in the vicinity of a former palace-manor farm complex (the palace did not survive). It is set back approx. 50 metres from the road, on a small hill, surrounded by a wooden fence, with a gate and a wicket gate from the side of the road. Chestnut trees grow along the fence surrounding the church graveyard, which served as a burial place for the former estate administrators and their families.
The church is oriented. It was built on the basis of a log structure, with the wall base on a newer foundation, and its exterior covered with weatherboards. The western tower, which partially projects forward of the face of the building, has a post-and-frame structure. The church is a single-nave building, with the nave on a rectangular floor plan and a slightly narrower chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon. There is a porch at the northern wall of the nave. The nave and the chancel are under one roof, which forms pronounced eaves by the chancel. The church tower is covered with a roof with a lantern and an onion-shaped, two-part cupola, it is clad with wood shingles, same as the nave and the chancel.
From the outside, the church is unadorned, with vertical weatherboarding. The main entrance to the church is through the tower with two-winged doors under an arch. The monotony of the church walls is broken up by rectangular, arched windows.
The interior consists of one nave, with a choir on its western side. Behind the altar wall, there is a small sacristy. The beamed ceiling and walls of the church are covered with late Renaissance and Baroque painted decorations. In the chancel, there are depictions of four scenes from the legend of St Nicholas, the patron saint of the church. In the nave, there are images of St Lawrence, Stephen, and Christ the Savior, as well as scenes related to St Nicholas. On the wall, there is a Latin inscription about the consecration of the church, placed in a decorative frame supported by St Peter and Paul. On the ceiling of the nave, there is an image of Mater Misericordiae, and on the ceiling of the chancel - the Adoration of the Holy Trinity. There are paintings of biblical scenes under the choir. On the choir, there is an image of a devil, who is persuading a female innkeeper to pour him another drink. There is a legend associated with the painting. The church has Baroque fittings. Other noteworthy elements are pulpit and baptismal font from the 18th century, as well as crucifix and figure of St John from the 17th century on the rood beam.
The site is open to visitors. Visiting the building is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the Poznań archdiocese at: www.archpoznan.pl.
compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 5-11-2014.
- Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 23 pow. szamotulski, s. 21-23, Warszawa 1966.
- Kohte J., Verzeichnis dee Kundenkmaeler für Provinz Posen, t. III, Berlin 1898.
- Łukaszewicz J., Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych, t. II, Poznań 1859.
- Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
- Powiat szamotulski na dawnej pocztówce (1897-1945), Szamotuły 2002
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.166988, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.50114