Parish Church of Michael Archangel - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. wschowski, gm. Sława - miasto
The parish in Sława probably existed already in the 13th century, but the first reference to the a rectory comes from 1404. The original church was replaced with a stone and brick one around 1500. In the years 1524-1654, the church was used by Evangelicals. Approx. in 1600, it was re-designed, an as a result the nave was extended towards south. The building underwent numerous renovations, inter alia in 1654, 1721, and 1765, where after a fire new Baroque vaults were built. In 1830, 1889, and 1957, refreshment works were carried out at the church.
The church of St Michael the Archangel is located to the west from the market square and adjoins the northern border of a palace and park complex. It is Gothic and Renaissance is style, and oriented. It is built from stone and brick, single-nave, erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon, sacristy and chapel from the north, tower from the west, and porch from the south. The church is covered with multi-pitched roofs clad in ceramic tiles, and the rectangular tower (which is octagonal in the upper section), is topped with a tented roof shaped as a spire with metal sheet cladding. The façades are plastered, except for the southern, neo-Romanesque porch, and pierced with high windows with semicircular arches. The interior is covered with barrel vaults with lunettes. The valuable fittings include main altar (1609), pulpit (1619), late-Gothic figure of Pensive Christ, and Renaissance epitaphs of members of the von Rechenberg family.
The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.
compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 13-07-2015.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom II, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 339.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 336.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.33564, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BK.132220