Evangelical church of the Holy Trinity, currently Roman-Catholic filial church of God’s Mercy, Sława
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church of the Holy Trinity, currently Roman-Catholic filial church of God’s Mercy

Sława

photo

The former Evangelical church in Sława is an interesting example of late Classicist sacred architecture with the elements of the round-arch style (German Rundbogenstil).

History

The church was built in 1834-1836 in the place of a fortress, in the centre of the Old Town market square. It was the third Evangelical church in Sława where Luther’s teachings had been present since 1521. The earlier buildings - from 1743 and 1766, were post-and-beam structures. After 1945, the building remained unused for a couple of dozen years. In 1980s, it was taken over by the local Roman Catholic parish and underwent renovation works. The church was consecrated in 1991.

Description

The former Evangelical church is located in the central part of the market square and constitutes its dominant architectural feature. The market square is surrounded by residential buildings following a compact development pattern. The church is oriented. It was built in the late Classicist style with elements of the round-arch style (German: Rundbogenstil). It is made of brick, erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan, with the chancel section separated internally, and a quadrangular tower. The two-storey body is covered with a three-sloped roof clad in ceramic tiles, and the six-storey tower, topped with a terrace, is covered with a pyramid tented roof clad in sheet metal. The façades are plastered and pierced with large windows with semi-circular top sections, which are framed in profiled surrounds. The façades are articulated with cornices and rustication. At the level of the fifth storey of the tower, there are clock faces. The interior is covered with a wooden ceiling. Historical fittings of the church have not survived, except for a pump organ from the 19th century.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 17-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom II, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 339-340-33.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 337.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1. poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek , Sława
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district wschowski, commune Sława - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area