Manor house and park complex, Skotniki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house and park complex

Skotniki

photo

A valuable example of a manor house with extensions surrounded by a moat and rampart.

History

Together with nearby Bogoria, Skotniki remained in the hands of the Bogoria and Skotnicki families at least from the 14th century till 1945. After WW2, the property was taken over by the state. The stone manor house was built perhaps in the 17th century - the extensions and the main body are wooden. Today’s house of the 18th century burnt down in 1945 and again in 1968. It housed an old people’s home, health centre, and a kindergarten.  It returned to the legitimate owners, the Skotnickis, in 1997.

Description

The complex is located in the south-west part of the village, not far from the parish church, surrounded by the remnants of a scenic park and a moat.  It is a one-storey building on a rectangular plan with corner extensions and a two-storey avant-corps to the front. The main body is covered with a “Polish” multi-pitched roof; the extensions have separate hip roofs, and the avant-corps a gable roof. The roofs are covered with shingles. The façades are plastered; the walls of the extensions are topped with a molded cornice. The front façade faces the south-east; it is a seven-axis design with a shallow triaxial, two-storey avant-corps. The central axis and the corners of the avant-corps are embraced with pilasters. At the ground level, the door and window frames are covered by a string course. Balcony on the upper floor. The floor topped with a projecting cornice with an arcade frieze. The avant-corps is topped with a triangular gable framed by a molded cornice with a cubic frieze. A semicircular panel is visible in the tympanum. Seven-axis garden façade is preceded by a terrace with steps between the extensions. The corners of the extensions facing the garden are supported by buttresses. The spatial layout reveals a large hall with pairs of rooms to the sides. The extensions have open-space chambers. In the south-west extension, there are visible remains of a sgraffito antique-like frieze with the representation of dancing nymphs. The manor house is surrounded by the remains of a scenic park with numerous old trees and the remains of the moat and ponds.

The building is a private property; not occupied, accessible all year round from the outside.

Compiled by: Marek Juszczyk, Sandomierz Branch of the Voivodeship Office for Monument Protection in Kielce, 12.12.2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. III, Woj. kieleckie, fasc. 11, Powiat sandomierski, compiled by. Łoziński J. Z., Przypkowski T., Warszawa 1962.
  • Wdowiszewski Z., Ród Bogoriów (in:) Rocznik Towarzystwa Heraldycznego, vol. IX, 1928.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 2. poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Skotniki
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district sandomierski, commune Samborzec
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area