Granary - Zabytek.pl
woj. łódzkie, pow. wieluński, gm. Skomlin-gmina wiejska
The first mention of the village of Skomlin in a document dates back to 1250 and refers to the fact that the village was chartered under the German law. In 1253, it was mentioned among villages donated to the monastery of Cistercian sisters in Ołobok. In 1378, Vladislaus II of Opole gave Skomlin and a fortified manor, Toplin, to Jan Szof. The Szof family owned the village in the 15th century and in the early 16th century. The construction of the wooden farm granary in 1777 should be associated with the Bartochowski family who owned the property also in the 19th century. In 1912, the owner of the property was Ignacy Bąkowski, and the estate remained in his hands to the 1940s. After the war, the manor farm property was subdivided into parcels, and the manor farm buildings along with the granary were taken over by the Communal Cooperative in Skomlin. Currently, the granary is owned by the Commune of Skomlin. It is not used. During the 1950s and the 1970s, throughout renovation of the historic building was carried out. In the years 2010-13, damaged wood shingles were replaced by roofing felt.
The granary is located in the northern part of a former manor house complex whose spatial layout is currently significantly transformed, mainly due to dismantling of the manor house and building a school in its place. It is situated with longitudinal walls along the east-west axis and its front façade faces north. This 18-century wooden two-storey granary was built on a floor plan of an elongated rectangle, with a colonnaded porch from the north. Its compact, cuboidal body is covered with a high gable roof with eaves resting on projecting ceiling beams with cut and rounded end sections. A two-pillar porch adjoining the northern wall is covered with a high, mono-pitched roof. Wooden walls of the granary were made using mixed techniques: post-and-plank and logs with protruding ends (in the corners which are currently covered with vertical weatherboards). The triangular gables feature board and batten siding on one side. Each storey is covered by a wooden beam ceiling made of exposed beams. The roofs and eaves are currently covered with roofing felt. Originally, the granary was laid with double wood shingles. The façades rest on a brick foundation (which was partially plastered at a later time) and are made of wood. Their structure is exposed. They are partitioned horizontally by a mono-pitched skirt roof supported on projecting ends of ceiling beams and purlins. The evenly partitioned façade is additionally accentuated by small rectangular window openings with longer horizontal edges, placed on axes of the façade and secured from inside with a barbed grid. On the axis of the front (northern) façade, there is an entrance to the granary, preceded by a one-storey porch resting on two wooden, decoratively profiled posts standing on a ramp with stairs. The wooden, plank main doors are covered from the outside with boards arranged in a geometric pattern, with studs. Each floor features a single-space interior partitioned with two rows of posts with brackets supporting crossbeams and ceiling beams. The second floor may be accessed by wooden ladder stairs.
The building is accessible from the outside all year round; interior tours upon prior arrangement with the owner.
compiled by Elżbieta Cieślak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 15.12.2014.
- Inwentaryzacja architektoniczno-budowlana zabytkowego spichlerza, Łódź 1978, archiwum WUOZ Delegatura Sieradz
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. II województwo łódzkie z. 12 Powiat Wieluński, Warszawa 1953, s. 378.
- Jacques L.Y., S.Graeve, Przewodnik po guberni kaliskiej, Warszawa 1912, s. 126
- Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, pod red. T. Sulmierskiego, T. X, Warszawa 1881, s. 691-692.
- Ryszard Rosin, Słownik historyczno-geograficzny ziemi wieluńskiej w średniowieczu, Warszawa 1963, s. 152.
Category: utility building
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_10_BK.132111