Parish Church of All Saints, Sieroty
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of All Saints

Sieroty

photo

The church of All Saints possesses an immense artistic, historical and research value, enjoying the status of a regional landmark; it is also one of the few surviving example of ecclesiastical buildings featuring a hybrid structure, consisting of both timber and brick sections. The painted decorations gracing the chancel, dating back to the second half of the 15th century, constitute a particularly valuable feature of the interior décor.

History

The very first written mentions of the church in Sieroty date back to 1299 and 1447. According to the historical sources, during the 16th century, the church remained in the hands of the Protestant community and was only reclaimed by the Catholics in 1629. The building itself was constructed in several stages, with the very first of them being the brick chancel, dating back to 1427. 30 years later, between 1456 and 1457, the nave was constructed, while the tower, added in 1775, forms the most recent addition to the structure. Before the existing tower was built, the church had a free-standing bell tower located some distance away from the main body thereof. The age of the individual sections has been determined on the basis of recent dendrochronological analyses; these analyses have also proved that the church survived the disastrous fire of the year 1700 completely unscathed. The church underwent renovation works on numerous occasions, with the first restoration being carried out in the 17th century, followed by subsequent works in 1895, 1904 and 1959. In the mid-1930s, the Gothic wall paintings adorning the chancel walls were shown to the public once again, with the necessary conservation works taking place in 1961 and 2007.

Description

The Church of All Saints is located on a small hill on Kościelna street, in the central part of the village of Sieroty. The entire complex is surrounded by a stone perimeter wall topped with a gable rooflet.

The building itself consists of a brick chancel and a wooden nave and tower, its design showing both Gothic and Baroque influences. The single-nave church, oriented towards the east, features brick chancel with a semi-hexagonal end section. A sacristy with a vestibule, designed on an elongated rectangular floor plan, adjoins the northern wall of the chancel. The nave, wider than the chancel and standing on brick foundations, is a wooden log structure, the upper sections of its walls clad with wood shingles. The lower part of the nave features a pronounced skirt roof. The three-storey tower at the western end of the church is a post-and-beam structure. In addition, the walls of the sacristy and the chancel are reinforced with buttresses. The main body of the church is covered with a gable roof; the roof above the chancel features a multi-faceted end section. An octagonal steeple with roof lantern crowned with a bulbous cupola rises above the nave. The design of the top section of the tower is strongly reminiscent of that of the steeple. A notable feature of the interior is the organ gallery supported by two Tuscan columns and featuring a balustrade with a curvilinear outline. Simple, flat ceilings are used for the space above the gallery and the chancel, while the nave features a false vaulted ceiling based on the use of arches following a shape roughly similar to a basket handle. The sacristy, on the other hand, comes equipped with a barrel vault. The most valuable part of the interior décor is are the Gothic wall paintings from 1470, preserved in the form of linear decorations adorning the chancel walls and the side pillars. The interior bears the hallmarks of the Baroque style, with both Gothic and Renaissance influences. Notable fixtures and fittings include the two-tier, Late Renaissance main altarpiece from 1622 as well as the 19th-century Baroque Revival side altarpieces and the Baroque pulpit from the 1st half of the 18th century.

The church can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Agata Mucha, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 12-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. VI woj. katowickie, I. Rejduch-Samkowa, J. Samka (eds.), issue 5 Powiat Gliwicki, compiled by E. Dwornik-Gutowska, M. Gutowski, K. Kutrzebianka, Warsaw 1966, pp. 76-79
  • J. Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warsaw 2008, pp. 368-369
  • Record sheet of monuments of architecture and urban design. Kościół parafialny pw. Wszystkich Świętych (Parish church of All Saints), prepared by E. Caban, I. Kontny, 1997
  • Record sheet of monuments of architecture and urban design (the so-called green record sheet). Kościół parafialny pw. Wszystkich Świętych (Parish church of All Saints), prepared by M. Gutowski, 1959
  • Konieczny A., Sprawozdanie z badań dendrochronologicznych zabytkowych kościołów w województwie śląskim przeprowadzonych w 2008 roku, [in:] Wiadomości konserwatorskie województwa śląskiego, Vol. 1, G. Bożek (ed.), Katowice 2009, pp. 95-126
  • Pleszyniak J., Drewniane kościoły na spichlerzowych szlakach powiatu gliwickiego, Katowice 2012, pp. 49-57

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1427 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna , Sieroty
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district gliwicki, commune Wielowieś
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area