Granary, Sieniawa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

History

History

In 1664-1666, Mikołaj Hieronim Sieniawski of the Leliwa coat of arms began construction of a port on the San river in the area of Dybków, at which time a new town, Sieniawa, started to be built. The earliest mention of a granary in Dybków dates back to 1664; the granary was used for storing, among others, saltpetre transported down the San river to Gdańsk. It is likely that the mention concerned the structure that has survived to this day. The granary served its function in the following centuries. After World War 2, it was nationalised. In the 1970s, when the site was owned by Iglopol, there was a fire, after which the building devoid of roof fell into ruin. It now still lies in ruins.

Description

The granary is located in the Sieniawa-Augustów district, about 1 km west of the town centre, and about 500 m from the San river. It was built on a floor plan in the shape of an elongated rectangle, with its longer side parallel to the road leading to the river port, divided by two passages into three parts. The building had three overground storeys; archival photographs show a cuboidal body covered with a gable roof, currently there are only perimeter walls and fragments of partition walls. The front/south façade and the north façade are seventeen-axial, divided into three five-axial parts by passages with loading openings located above them; shorter façades are three-axial. The storeys are separated by simple cornices placed on the walls; the corners of the building are accentuated by rustication; the windows openings on the ground floor are rectangular in shape; the windows on the upper storey are shaped as rectangles and topped with semicircular arches. The horizontal composition of the façade is emphasised with ventilation openings rhythmically arranged on all storeys. Inside, there is a clearly discernible basic division into three parts and there are no ceilings.

The building now lies in ruins and is fenced off with wire netting; it can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Barbara Potera, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 06-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Architectural monument record sheet, so-called white sheet, author: ROSiOŚK (National Heritage Board of Poland - Regional Branch) Rzeszów, 1999, Archives of the Office for the Protection of Monuments in Przemyśl

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sieniawa
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district przeworski, commune Sieniawa - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area