Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of the Holy Family - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. krośnieński, gm. Gubin-gmina wiejska
Sękowice is a small village of medieval origin; the earliest mention of it was in 1301. The Protestant church was built in the second half of the 17th century. The records used as a source of information from the early 19th century indicate that the building underwent renovations, consisting in the replacement of a ground beam with a brick foundation and reinforcement of the structure with screws. Another renovation was carried out in the early 20th century, and the most recent renovation was completed in 2010. After World War II the church was taken over by Catholics and was consecrated on 24 February 1946. An 18th century wooden belfry was located next to the church until the 1980s.
The church is situated in the central part of Sękowice, by the main road crossing the town, in the middle of a wooded and fenced area of the former cemetery. The church was built as a frame structure on an octagonal floor plan. Its compact body is covered with a multi-hipped roof, surmounted by a tower in the form of a tholobate with a lantern with a flattened dome atop. The east wall of the main body adjoins a sacristy, while the south wall a porch with an added staircase. The facades are divided by pillars, pivots and braces into regularly plastered fields. Rectangular window openings are located on the axis of each of the walls on two levels. The tholobate walls are clad with vertically positioned weatherboards. Two-storey galleries which rest on eight pillars run around the perimeter of the interior that is covered with a beamed ceiling. The balustrade panels present the scenes from the Way of the Cross, dating from the 1960s. Preserved artefacts include the Baroque main altar, baptismal font from the 2nd half of the 17th century and Renaissance epitaphs.
Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the interior is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.
Compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 03-09-2014 r.
- Szymańska-Dereń M., Kościoły zrębowe i szkieletowe województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2009, s. 114-116.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.23212, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BK.125768