Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Ścinawa Nyska
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of Sts. Peter and Paul

Ścinawa Nyska

photo

Apart from its interesting location (on a hill) and the layout of the surroundings with two (Renaissance and Baroque) gates leading to it, the church in Ścinawa Nyska features a preserved Renaissance tower with partially preserved sgraffito with floral decoration.

History

The earliest mentions of the church in Ścinawa Nyska date from the early 14th century. The present building was probably erected in the second quarter of the 18th century with the preservation of the tower from the earlier Renaissance church (1585-1586).

Description

The church was erected on a hill in the centre of the village, on a plot similar to an oval. It adjoins a cemetery to the north. At the foot, the hill where the church is located is surrounded by a stone buttressed wall with a Renaissance gate, from which a masonry path leads towards the church. At the end of the path, there is a Baroque gate.

The church is oriented towards the east, with a rectangular main body surrounded by chapels to the north and south, a chancel narrower than the main body and closed off on three sides, a quadrangular porch located almost in the centre of the south façade and a tower on a rectangular floor plan located on the west side.

The church is made of brick, plastered, with northern, southern and eastern façades featuring framework decoration; later it was reinforced with buttresses. The window openings have the shape of rectangles topped with round arches. They were placed at two levels and are decorated with surrounds made in plaster and sections of cornices of various shapes. The western façade is surmounted by a gable with volutes. On the axis of the façade, there is a four-storey tower, the upper storey of which is divided by blind arcades and covered with sgraffito decoration with floral motifs. On the lower storey of the tower, there is a portal with a pointed-arched profile. Above it, there is a keystone with a stonemason’s mark and the date "1585". The tower is topped with an attic cresting and is covered with an octagonal cone. The body of the church is covered with a saddle roof over the nave part and with a multi-faceted roof over the chancel and the porch.

The interior of the church is topped with a sail vault on arches in the nave part. On the north and south side of the nave, there are semi-elliptical chapels opening towards the nave, with semicircular niches and with galleries on the upper storey. Between the chapels, there are sections of the wall additionally emphasised with mitred pilasters with composite capitals. The chancel terminated in a semicircle. The organ gallery is supported by pilastered pillars with a wavy balustrade; similar balustrades are on the galleries.

The church features uniform fixtures and fittings emphasising its character, with an extended regency main altar with gates and statues of St. Judas Thaddaeus and John the Evangelist and side altars located in each of the four chapels. These are complemented by a regency pulpit with rich carved decorations with statues of the Four Evangelists on a parapet and a group depicting the Holy Trinity on a canopy, baptismal font, and pipe organ casing. In addition, the church features a set of fourteen paintings, which are attributed to Michael Willman based on the similarities to the paintings from the monastery in Lubiąż.

The church belongs to the parish in Ścinawa Mała.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 14-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 9: Powiat nyski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1963, pp. 186-189.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, pp. 141-142.
  • Sztuka Śląska Opolskiego od średniowiecza do końca w. XIX, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Kraków 1974, p. 266

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ścinawa Nyska
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Korfantów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area