Church of St. Judoc in Sątopy, Sątopy
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St. Judoc in Sątopy

Sątopy

photo

A typical example of a Gothic aiseless church located in the former territory of the State of the Teutonic Order for rural areas.

History

The village of Sątopy was chartered in 1337. The chartering document provided for 4 voloks as a land grant to the parish priest. The first recorded mention about the church comes from 1343. It is probable that the church was in construction at that time, which was completed by adding a tower ca. in 1380 (Loyal) or ca. in 1400 (Herrmann). In the same period, also the southern porch was built, formed analogically as the top section of the eastern façade. Approx. in 1500, the tower gable was made. In 1699, the church was renovated and slightly converted by enlarging its pointed-arch windows. In 1884, the sacristy and porch were renovated. In 1886, the size of window openings was changed once again — their original size was restored. The layout of the eastern section of the church is reminiscent of the collegiate church in Dobre Miasto, and the proportions and appearance of the church body show analogies to parish churches in Kiwity and Uników. In 1382–1386, the later bishop of Warmia, Henryk Vogelsang, served as a parish priest in Sątopy.

Description

The Gothic church of St. Judoc in Sotąpy is located on a small elevation in the village centre. It is built on a rectangular floor plan, with the tower on the west. It is made of brick and rests on a stone foundation. Its body is strengthened with buttresses. The roof of the nave body and tower is of gable type, and it is laid with ceramic tiles. The church is adjoined from the north by a sacristy, and from the south — by a porch. The eastern gable of the church features pinnacles and blind windows throughout the entire gable height. The northern and southern façades feature an alternating arrangement of high pointed-arch windows and buttresses. In the northern façade, a bricked-up entrance to the church can be seen. The tower is a four-storey building, with storeys of uneven height. Its first three storeys are accentuated by blind windows, and the uppermost storey features small windows. The tower is topped with two pinnacle gables: eastern and western one. The entrance to the church is located at the ground floor of the tower. The portal is Gothic in style, without distinct area of bases and capitals. The church grounds are used as a cemetery, fenced with a low walls. The interior is aiseless and covered with a ceiling. The Gothic polyptych of St. Judoc from the 15th century, stored at present in the Museum of Warmia and Mazury, Branch in Lidzbark Warmiński, comes from the church in Sątopy. The most valuable interior fittings preserved in situ include a Baroque main altar of 1765 by Christian Bernard Schmidt from Reszel, tabernacle of 1760, and Baroque side altars: of the Virgin Mary and St. Joseph.

The historical building is open to visitors. It may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 9.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Bosko J., Wojtkowski J. M., Dziedzictwo historyczno-artystyczne archidiecezji warmińskiej. Zabytki ruchome, Olsztyn 2011, s. 201.
  • Chrzanowski T., Przewodnik po zabytkowych kościołach południowej Warmii, Olsztyn 1973, s. 93-96.
  • Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Preussenland, Petersberg 2007, s. 698-700.
  • Loyal D., Sakrale Backsteigotik im Ermland. Eine bautopographische Untersuhung, Bonn 1995, s. 309-312.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1343
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sątopy
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district bartoszycki, commune Bisztynek - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area