Palace complex, Rzeszów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The complex consisting of a palace with a fence and a former guardhouse is an example of the Baroque and Classicist residential palace architectural of exceptional architectural value in the region.

History

The palace was erected according to a design by Tylman van Gameren on the initiative of Hieronim August Lubomirski at the turn of the 18th/19th century. Later, its middle part was extended upwards on the initiative of Jerzy Ignacy Lubomirski and Joanna Stein according to a design attributed to Tomasz Belotto in the second quarter of the 18th century. The building, which served as a summer residence for the lords of Rzeszów, was preceded by two rows of garden quarters and a fence with two guardhouses in the western wall, and was surrounded by a garden with an orangery, animal farm and a pond with an island. In the 19th century, the gardens ceased to exist, and urban development increased in the area. In 1906, the palace building was rebuilt and altered after a fire; the next alterations aimed at adapting the building for use as a school were made in 1945. At present, the palace is undergoing renovation after being taken over by the Medical Chamber. The remains of the former complex include a ruined southern guardhouse building located at a considerable distance from the palace, surrounded by buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Description

The palace complex is situated in the centre of Rzeszów, north-east of the castle complex. The palace is surrounded by a small parterre garden and a fence. The Baroque building was built as a multi-storey structure with a basement, on a floor plan in the shape resembling the letter “H” in shape; it was later extended upwards by an additional storey. It was built of brick, with the main body covered with a gable roof and mansard roofs over side parts clad with overlapping sheet metal. All façades are symmetrical; longer eastern and western façades are seven-axial and feature lavishly decorated entrance portals on the axis; shorter façades are five-axial. The façades are richly decorated with rustication in the corners, window surrounds, window headers, niches at various heights, stone Rococo busts of members of the Lubomirski family placed in niches with wooden surrounds and terraces with balustrades and stone vases. The whole is surrounded by a pronounced string course.

The interior features a two-bay room layout; however, the original layout was changed during reconstruction.

The guardhouse is situated at a considerable distance from the palace and surrounded by villa buildings and tenement houses from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and its connection to the palace complex is, in fact, indiscernible. The preserved building has a square floor plan, two discernible overground storeys, without a roof, with makeshift protection, and is built of brick, and almost completely devoid of plaster.

The preserved fence has the form of pillars made of brick and infills made of forged metal bars. Stone vases placed on top of pillars were removed and are stored on the property for renovation.

The building is currently undergoing renovation and is owned by the Regional Medical Chamber.

compiled by Barbara Potera, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 28-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Polakowski S., Pozostałości założeń dworskich województwa podkarpackiego, Krosno 2012, pp. 412-413
  • Architectural and construction monument record sheet, so-called green sheet, drawn up for the palace, author: T.Żurawska, 1959, Archives of the Office for the Protection of Monuments in Rzeszów
  • Architectural and construction monument record sheet, so-called green sheet, drawn up for the fence, author: Maria Łyjak, 1962, Archives of the Office for the Protection of Monuments in Rzeszów
  • Architectural and construction monument record sheet, so-called green sheet, drawn up for the guardhouse, author: T.Żurawska, 1959, Archives of the Office for the Protection of Monuments in Rzeszów

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: XVII/XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rzeszów
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district Rzeszów, commune Rzeszów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area