Parish Church of St. Lawrence, Rymanów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St. Lawrence

Rymanów

photo

The church in Rymanów is a valuable example of a late Baroque church of significant artistic, aesthetic and landscape value. Its interior is decorated with a valuable Renaissance gravestone transferred from an earlier church.

History

It is assumed that the parish was founded around the beginning of the 15th century. The present church is the second masonry church and chronologically the third in Rymanów. The church, founded by the owner of Rymanów, Józef Ossoliński, the governor of Wołyń, was built in 1779-1781. The construction work was conducted by Antoni Stroiński, bricklayers and stonemasons from the Czech Republic, Moravia and Silesia, and local craftsmen. In 1839, the church was partially destroyed by fire. It was restored within two years. In 1878, the church tower underwent upward extension. Afterwards, the church was damaged by wind in 1921 and reconstructed according to a design by Bronisław Wiktor. In 1944, the church was destroyed during the war: the tower burned down and the vaulted ceiling in the nave and chapel collapsed. Fortunately, the interior fittings did not suffer any damage. The church was renovated in 1944-1948. Wall paintings were made by Stanisław Szmuc in 1963. Another tower fire was recorded in 2004; later the tower was rebuilt.

Description

The church in Rymanów is located on the southern frontage of the market square. It is accompanied by a fence, two towers and a clergy house (separate decision on the entry into the register of monuments). It is located in the central part of the complex. It is not oriented towards the east; its chancel faces the south and the front façade the market square. It was designed in Baroque style and built on a Latin cross floor plan, with two polygonal chapels as side arms. It is a single-nave structure with a chancel narrower than the nave and closed off on three sides. Two auxiliary rooms were built on both sides of the chancel. The whole building is topped with a three-storey tower, whose first storey forms an almost uniform structure with the nave. The second and third storeys become narrower in steps and are separated from the church body. The tower is surmounted by a three-segment cupola with four planes at the base, then with four planes and bevelled corners, and then an octagonal pyramid. The nave and chancel walls are of the same height. The nave is covered with a gable roof with an openwork steeple located in the southern part of the roof ridge. The chancel is somewhat narrower than the nave and covered with a slightly lower roof changing from a gable roof to a multi-plane roof. The side chapels are lower than the main body; they are covered with dome-shaped roofs surmounted by massive lanterns. The lowest are the auxiliary rooms covered with shed roofs. The first storey of the front façade is monumental, single-axial, and decorated with pairs of Ionic pilasters. In the centre, there is a niche that houses a door opening in a stone portal, above which there are relief papal symbols. Over the niche, there is a relief scene of the Delivery of the Keys to St. Peter Piotr. That storey was crowned with a mitred entablature and tympanum with panoplies and the Topór coat of arms used by the Ossoliński family. Behind the tympanum, there is a blind attic adorned with vases, forming the base of the second storey, framed by pilasters, with a clock face on the axis and crowned with a pronounced cornice. The third storey is set on a tall pedestal and is also framed by pilasters and topped with a cornice. Other façades are set on a tall pedestal and partitioned by pilasters (chancel, chapels and auxiliary rooms) or by doubled pilasters, supporting the cornices under the eaves. The northern axes of side (of the tower) above the cornices are topped with blind attics with vases. The upper storeys of the tower are designed similarly to those of the front façade. The church was built of stone and brick. Interior. The nave is a three-bay structure covered with a barrel vault with lunettes on arches. The chancel is covered in the same way. The nave and chancel walls are articulated by pairs of Corinthian pilasters with openwork capitals, with arcaded niches between them (in the nave). The pilasters support the string course entablature. The third bay of the nave features arcades to the side chapels. The chancel is separated by a multiplied rood arch. In the northern part of the nave, there is a choir resting on three arcades with a distinctive cornice projecting from the face and supported by a pair of corbels/angels. The chapels are oval on the inside and characterised by walls decorated in the same way as the nave (stucco capitals); they are covered with flattened oval cupolas. Under the chancel, chapels and part of the nave, there are porches accessible from the outside, through the door in the east chapel. The interior is designed in late Baroque style. It is decorated with the Baroque Revival main altar (late 19th c., Józef Aszklar), late Baroque and Baroque Revival side altars (late 18th c., 19th c.), and pulpit (late 18th c.). The main altar boasts a depiction of the Pietà in the form of an on-board painting. The side altars feature, among other, paintings of Władysław Lisowski from Sanok (1884-1970). An extremely valuable Renaissance gravestone of Jan Sienieński and his wife Zofia (around 1580, Herman Hutten-Czapka of Lviv) has been preserved from an earlier church.

The building is open to visitors all year round and can be viewed upon prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Bartosz Podubny, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 31-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet of monuments of architecture, the so-called white sheet, Rymanów, Kościół par. rzym.-kat. pw. Wawrzyńca, prepared by B. Bosak, 2004 (Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Krosno)
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Seria Nowa, vol. 1: Województwo krośnieńskie, issue 1 Powiat brzozowski, Ewa Śnieżyńska-Stolot and Franciszek Stolot (eds.), Warsaw 1974
  • Macnar S., Parafia Rymanów w latach 1918-1939, Rzeszów 2006
  • Rymanów. Dzieje miasta i Zdroju, F. Kiryk (ed.), Krosno 2012

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1779-1781
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rymanów
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district krośnieński, commune Rymanów - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area