Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, Rychnowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary

Rychnowo

photo

One of few wooden churches in the region; an interesting example of implementation of a central plan in wooden architecture. Lavish and well preserved fittings with a valuable monument of late-Gothic art.

History

Rychnowo is a gentry village chartered in 1335, with a church under private auspices. The first church, built probably just after the village was chartered, was burnt down in 1410, and reconstructed only ca. 1490. After secularisation of the Teutonic Order State, it was converted into an Evangelical church, as everywhere else in the Duchy of Prussia. The present church was erected in 1713 at the initiative of the owner of the Rychnowo estate, Ernest Zygmunt von Kikoll. It features distinct references to the architecture of brick and stone, mature Baroque, starting from the octagonal plan of the building, and ending with architectural detail (shape of windows, profiled cornices under eaves, portals). In 1707, a wood, free-standing belfry was built. In 1913, due to bad technical condition of the church, a copy of it was made to the scale of 1 : 1 for the purposes of exhibition in the open-air museum (Freilichtmuseum) in Königsberg. The copy as well as part of other collections, still before the end of the World War II, was transferred to Olsztynek, where it remains until today. The church, which was written off, was renovated only in the 1920s — the damaged elements of the ceiling and walls. After the World War II, it became a Roman Catholic church. During that period, works are carried out only in the interior with the last comprehensive works carried out in the second half of the 1990s.

Description

The church is located on a small hill with old-growth lime trees, situated in the western part of the former residential complex; there is a brick and stone ossuary near the church. A wooden building based on a log structure, with dovetail joints, corners clad with wheaterboards, resting on a foundation of fieldstone and brick. Built on a plan of an elongated octagon, with the entrance porch on the south and the sacristy on the north; from the west, there is a free-standing belfry. The interior features single-space layout and is covered with paintings of figural scenes and ornaments on the ceiling (1714) and walls (1730). In the western part, there is a music gallery rested on wooden pillars. The floor is made of brick. The main door features decorative hinges and a wrought iron knocker. The altar is comprised of a late-Gothic triptych with a set of sculptures presenting the Coronation of Mary and painted quarters (1517, circles of Cranach the Elder), other fittings uniform and originating from the time of church's creation (collator pew, ambo, pew forechests, epitaph of the Kikoll family).

Limited access to the historic building.

Compiled by Marzena Zwierowicz, 5.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Bosko J., Wojtkowski J.M. , Dziedzictwo historyczno-artystyczne Archidiecezji Warmińskiej. Zabytki ruchome, Olsztyn 2011, s. 197.
  • Rzempołuch A., Przewodnik po zabytkach sztuki dawnych Prus Wschodnich, Olsztyn 1992, s.117-118.
  • Świętochowski G., Konserwacja polichromii i wyposażenia kościoła drewnianego w Rychnowie, „Warmińsko - Mazurski Biuletyn Konserwatorski”, 2001, t.3, s. 138 - 147.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1713
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rychnowo
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district ostródzki, commune Grunwald
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area