Greek Catholic filial church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, currently Roman Catholic filial church of Nativity of the Virgin Mary of the Parish of SS. Peter and Paul - Zabytek.pl
woj. podkarpackie, pow. przeworski, gm. Sieniawa-obszar wiejski
Paraskevia) and Gorajec. The tserkva is also an important element of the cultural landscape of the village.
The wooden tserkva was built in 1695 (the date carved on the lintel of the entrance portal to the narthex). The church in Rudka was a filial church of the parish in Sieniawa. At an unknown time, the aisle part and the narthex of the tserkva underwent alterations (the alterations involved removing a skirt roof, supported by projecting logs, so-called rafter tails, in the nave and replacing it with arcades, as well as erecting a bell tower above the narthex in the western part). Due to the construction of a new masonry Orthodox church in 1921, the old tserkva was moved to its current location. Since 1924, i.e., since the new church was commissioned, the old tserkva was used sporadically, and since 1947 it ceased to be used for cult purposes. The tserkva underwent complete renovation in 1958. In 1988, a broken tree destroyed the tower and the roof over the narthex, as well as the cloister-like walkways surrounding the narthex. The renovations in 1990-1991 involved dismantling damaged cloister-like walkways and installing a makeshift roof over the narthex, without restoring the bell tower. In 2010-2013, the church underwent full-scale renovations and conservations involving changing the body and form of the western part of the tserkva. The renovations in 2010-2013 did not include restoring the cloister-like walkways featuring a log structure, but instead they involved the installation of arcades on pillars. The bell tower over the narthex was not reconstructed. Currently, the building is owned by the Roman Catholic parish in Cieplice-Rudka.
The wooden old tserkva is situated on a small hill, in the western part of Rudka, right by a rural road, at a monumental oak tree. A masonry tserkva was erected north of the wooden tserkva, in close proximity. The church is oriented towards the east.
The wooden tserkva is a log structure.
It is a tripartite tserkva, consisting of a chancel on a nearly square floor plan, closed off on three sides to the east, a much larger square nave and a small narthex. On both sides of the chancel, there are small Prothesis and Diaconicon rooms. The northern Prothesis wall and the southern Diaconicon wall are a direct extension to the nave walls.
The body of the church is compact, somewhat squat, and clearly dominated by the nave, which is the largest and tallest part of the building. The entire tserkva is covered with skirt roofs (cloister-like walkways, roof-like structures adjacent to the roofs), supported by projecting logs, so-called rafter tails, separate for individual parts of the building. In the nave, these roofs are installed slightly higher than in the chancel and the narthex, and their central parts are additionally supported by posts. The new skirt roof supported by the rafter tails and posts with braces added during the renovation in 2010-2013 runs around the narthex. The nave is covered with a tented roof with a single bend, the narthex with a three-sloped roof, with a roof ridge installed at the heights of the base of the nave roof. The chancel is topped with a gable roof (with a roof ridge slightly below the base of the nave roof) with three planes descending over the end section of the chancel closed off on three sides to the east. The roof planes to the north and south in the west part of the chancel are extended and joined with the planes of the skirt roof and covering the vaulting over Prothesis and Diaconicon. The tserkva is a wooden log structure set on a stone foundation. The nave walls are reinforced with vertical supports. All the roof and wall planes above the skirt roofs were clad with wood shingles, below which there is an exposed log structure. The nave is pierced by rectangular windows openings, whereas the chancel by rectangular and round windows (to the east). The main portal to the west is adorned with an ornately carved lintel wavy in outline. The lintel bears an inscription in Cyrillic stating the construction date of the tserkva. Inside the church, the nave and the chancel are covered with log ceilings, and the narthex is topped with a beamed ceiling. The nave is surmounted by a quadrangular log cupola reinforced by three clamps. The sanctuary is topped with a barrel vault.
The church can be viewed from the outside. Viewing of the church is only possible by prior telephone appointment.
compiled by Ryszard Kwolek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 31-10-2014.
- Karta ewidencyjna, Rudka, Cerkiew grecko-katolicka p.w. Zaśnięcia NMP/Przenajświętszej Bogurodzicy, opr. E. Zawałeń, Archiwum WUOZ w Przemyślu, 1994
- Sobocki W., Drewniana architektura cerkiewna Małopolski Środkowej, Brondby bd,
- Brykowski R., Drewniana architektura cerkiewna na koronnych ziemiach Rzeczypospolitej, Warszawa 1995
- Saładiak A., Pamiątki i zabytki kultury ukraińskiej w Polsce. Warszawa1993
- Szematyzmy duchowieństwa grekokatolickiego z lat 1877, 1879, 1927, 1936, 1938-39
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_18_BK.17376, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_18_BK.200430