Hillfort, Różyna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

The hill fort in Różyna may be a relic of the local medieval watchtower located in the area of the so-called Silesian Cutting (Polish: Przesieka Śląska).

Location and description

The hill fort is located in the area of the Odra river valley about 600 m north-east of the eastern end of the village (exit towards Wronów) and about 200 m west of the road to the Zawadno grange.

The hill fort has a shape similar to a circle. In the centre of the structure, there is a discernible rectangular inner yard measuring about 20-21 m in diameter and surrounded by a shallow moat, which is about 10 m wide to the north and about 15 m wide to the south. In the 1960s, to the north there were clearly discernible remains of a causeway leading to the inner yard. The moat was seasonally filled with water. It was surrounded by a rampart, which measured then up to 1 m in height. Today, it is barely discernible. Currently, the inner yard and moat are overgrown with bushes and trees. The hill fort is a refuge for animals.

History

Archaeological surveys have established the dating of the structure to the period of the Late Middle Ages (14th-16th century).

Condition and results of archaeological research

The hill fort was surface-examined, among others, by M. Hellmich in the interwar period, by J. Kaźmierczyk, Z. Trudzik and B. Czerska in 1857 and 1961, and by K. Macewicz and E. Tomczak in 1972. The researchers found five fragments of thin-walled vessels in the inner yard. The hill fort has been preserved in good condition. A contour plan of the hill fort was drawn up in 1993.

The hill fort in Różyna located in the broad valley of the Odra river, in the vicinity of roads leading along the Odra river, from Opole through Wronów (fortified settlement in Zawadno) and Kopanie to Brzeg and further on, might have fulfilled a guarding function. In the Middle Ages, the village of Różyna probably belonged to the Order of Malta, to which the first church in the village belonged.

The hill fort is located on private land. The site is visible from the road leading from Różyna to the Zawadno grange. A clump of trees growing on the site is clearly distinguishable among the fields. The hill fort can be reached via a dirt road, west of the road to Zawadno.

compiled by Krzysztof Spychała, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Hellmich M., Schlesische Wehranlagen, [in:] Altschlesien, vol. 3, 1930, p. 39;
  • Kozłowska W., Wczesnośredniowieczne grody woj. opolskiego na tle warunków fizjograficzno - gospodarczych, [in:] Kwartalnik Opolski, vol. 1, 1956, item 39;
  • Antoniewicz W., Wartołowska Z., Mapa grodzisk w Polsce, 1964, p. 42;
  • Kaźmierczyk J., Macewicz K., Wuszkan S., Studia i materiały do osadnictwa Opolszczyzny wczesnośredniowiecznej, 1977, pp. 443-444;
  • Voivodeship State Archives in Wrocław, files of a team of the Self-Government Department of the Silesian Province in Wrocław, file number: 667, file title: Rosenthal;
  • Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole, file no. A-393/75, and Record Sheet of the Różyna Archaeological Site no. 3, AZP 86-34/77.

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: XIV-XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Różyna
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Lewin Brzeski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area