Church of St. Michael the Archangel, Rozmierz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St. Michael the Archangel

Rozmierz

photo

The church located in the centre of the village features partially preserved fifteenth-century walls of the nave and a wall tabernacle in the form of a cabinet with Gothic decoration.

History

The first mention of the church in Rozmierz date back to 1365. The present church was built in the 15th century. Around the mid-18th century, the church was extended by side chapels (the northern one was added in 1769, while the southern one in 1768). Another extension to the church began at the end of the 19th century. The nave was extended towards the east and a new chancel was built. At the same time, a wooden bell tower was demolished and bells were hung in the western church tower. In addition, the level of the floor was raised and the church fixtures and fittings were complemented.

Originally, the church was dedicated to the Assumption of the Most Holy Virgin Mary; the dedication was changed to St. Michael the Archangel around 1686.

Description

The church is located in the centre of the village, on a plot between Powstańców Śląskich Street and Wyzwolenia Street. It is surrounded by a stone fence with three gates (to the east, south, and west).

The church is oriented towards the east and consists of a nave and a rectangular chancel narrower than the nave. On the axis of the church, to the west there is a quadrangular tower, which adjoins a staircase to the south. In the 18th century, two semicircular chapels were added in the second bay of the church to the west. Between the northern chapel and the chancel there are three rectangular annexes, in which there is a sacristy, among others.

The church is built of brick, plastered, with the walls of the chancel, chapels and tower decorated with pilasters. Window openings are varied (surmounted by a round arch or a segmental arch) and enclosed in surrounds with keystones. The church body is covered with a gable roof featuring a roof ridge of various height, with dormers shaped in neo-Gothic style. The eastern and western wall of the nave are surmounted by gables; the eastern one is characterised by an opening covered with a triangular pediment used as a steeple, and the western one is wavy in shape.

The front façade of the church is three-axial with a three-storey tower on the central axis, which is covered with a bulbous cupola. Up to the level of the third storey, the tower is embellished with corner pilasters; on the third storey its corners are truncated. On the lower storey, on the tower axis there is a segmental-arched entrance opening. Entrances are also located in the southern chapel and sacristy.

The interior of the nave is covered with a ceiling with crown mouldings at longer sides. The chapels open to the nave with arcades with round arches. The western bay is fitted with a wooden organ gallery supported by columns with sculpted braces and a straight balustrade.

Apart from the Gothic tabernacle in the form of a wall cabinet with three finials flower-shaped ornaments as finials preserved on the northern wall of the chancel, the fixtures and fittings of the church date back to the 18th century (including the main altar surmounted by a sculpture of the God the Father) and the late 19th century (pipe organ casing, set of church benches).

The monument is open to visitors.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 28-01-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 14: Powiat strzelecki, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki (eds.), Warsaw 1961, p. 36.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, pp. 275-276.
  • http://www.rozmierka.eu/kategorie/kosciol-parafialny-w-rozmierzy (27.01.2015)

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Powstańców Śląskich , Rozmierz
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district strzelecki, commune Strzelce Opolskie - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area