St. Catherine's Church - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. krapkowicki, gm. Walce-gmina wiejska
The palace, which was one of the seats of the Pückler family, was built as entre cour et jardin in 1734, using the walls of an earlier building.
The earliest mentions of the church in Rozkochów date from the 14th century. The present church was built in the 18th century. During the war (1944) and invasions on the nearby plants in Kędzierzyn-Koźle, the building was burned. The church was rebuilt in 1947 with the addition of a new sacristy and tower together with the adjacent annexes.
The church is located in the centre of the village in a square in the shape resembling an oval, surrounded by a masonry fence with four entrances. One of the gates from Wiejska Street was surmounted by a concave-convex gable and volutes.
The church was built on a rectangular floor plan, with a narrower chancel with a straight ending located on the south-eastern side, and a quadrangular tower to the north-west. On both sides of the tower there are rectangular annexes, and to the south of the church there is a sacristy including part of the chancel and nave.
The nave and chancel are covered with three-sloped roofs of different heights. The annexes and part of the sacristy are covered with mono-pitched roofs, the remaining part of the sacristy is topped with a flat roof; the tower features a tented roof. Reconstruction of the church in 1947, when a new tower with annexes and the sacristy were built, deprived it of its stylistic features. The church is made of brick, plastered with the walls featuring framework decoration; in the nave there are window openings topped with round arches and enclosed in surrounds with a keystone.
The front façade of the church is three-axial with a three-storey tower on the central axis, and flanked by lower annexes. On the lower storey there are entrance openings surmounted by round arches, the middle of which is enclosed with a stepped portal. On the second storey of the tower, on its axis, there is a narrow window topped with a round arch; on the third storey there are three analogous window openings, over which there is a clock face. The side walls of the upper storey of the tower are pierced by two window openings.
The church is aisleless, with the nave covered with a weatherboarded ceiling and a chancel with a barrel vault with lunettes. In the north-western part of the church, there is an organ gallery with a convex-shaped balustrade. The interior features preserved Baroque paintings and crucifix. Another notable feature is a cast iron plaque which is currently in the church, but was moved from the palace, and features relief depictions of the Salomon Court, and the composition of the main altar consisting of solid sculptures of the Virgin Mary and St. Catherine surrounded by angels placed directly on the chancel wall and similarly composed side altars.
The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the interior is possible by prior telephone arrangement.
compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 25-11-2014.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 6: Powiat krapkowicki, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1963, p. 27.
- Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, p. 311.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.17065, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.15949