Concentration camp, Rogoźnica
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.


A concentration camp established in order to provide the nearby granite quarry with forced labour.


Founded back in 1940, the camp was subsequently extended in years 1942-1944; following its liberation by the Soviet Armed Forces on 13.05.1945, the site has served a museum from 1983 onwards.


The camp was established south of Rogoźnica, serving as a branch of the Sachsenhausen camp. It was designed for forced labourers who were brought here from the countries conquered by the Third Reich. All in all, between 120 and 160 thousand prisoners were being held at the camp throughout the entire period of its existence. The number of people who died due to the extreme work conditions at the nearby quarry is estimated at between 40 and 100 thousand.

The preserved parts of the concentration camp include parts of the fence, the internal driveways, the foundations of prisoner barracks (one of which has subsequently been reconstructed) and guard towers, the crematory, the gallows and the gatehouse which was adapted as a museum which presents an exhibition dedicated to the history of the site.

The quarry where the prisoners were sent to work was located east of the camp itself. Fragments of the original infrastructure have been preserved; the site of the excavation can be seen from a terrace where a monument to the victims of Nazi occupation is located.

The site may be visited during the museum opening hours.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 31-10-2014.


  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, Śląsk, Warsaw, 2006.
  • Konieczny A., KL Gross-Rosen, hitlerowski obóz koncentracyjny na Dolnym Śląsku, Wałbrzych 2006.

General information

  • Type: cultural landscape
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rogoźnica
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Strzegom - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area