Castle - Zabytek.pl
Rogów Opolski, Parkowa 38
woj. opolskie, pow. krapkowicki, gm. Krapkowice-obszar wiejski
The first references to Rogów Opolski come from the 14th century, when the estate belonged to a knight from the Fuellstein family, Herbord Panse from Slavkov. In 1393, he sold Rogów Opolski along with privileges to brothers Jan and Adam von Beess. In the late 15th century, the estate becomes property of the Rogowski family from Rogoźnik, and in 1613, the von Wrbsky family. In 1747, after the death of Wacław von Wrbsky, the estate is taken over by his wife who hands it over in turn to her cousin Fryderyk Gustaw von Walleespeck. The indebted and neglected estate in Rogów Opolski was bought in 1757 by auction by Henryk Adolf count von Redern. After his death, in 1765, the estate was purchased by Karol Wilhelm von Haugwitz. The last owner of Rogów Opolski was Heinrich von Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow from Krapkowice (until 1945).
The castle in Rogów Opolski was built in a couple of stages. The eastern wing is its oldest part (14th and 15th century), then the southern wing, the staircase in the south-eastern corner of the eastern wing, and the cloisters were added at a later time (approx. 1600). The last stage consisted in the construction of the northern wing (late 18th century).
The castle in Rogów Opolski is located in the southern part of the area of a castle complex, between Parkowa Street and the old river-bed of the Oder. It was built on an escarpment by the Oder bed, in the area of one of its meanders. Hence the name of the village - Rogów, which refers in Polish to a river corner.
Initially, the area where the castle is located was circumscribed by a moat and a rampart (from the west, north, and east). At present, the moat on the eastern side has been transformed into a garden terrace with paths and an observation belvedere. From the north, the castle can be accessed by a stone bridge resting on arcades.
The Renaissance part of the building consists of two two-storey wings, perpendicular to each other: the southern wing, erected in the south-western part of the complex, the eastern wing with a quadrangular tower in the south-eastern corner, and a stocky three-storey tower erected at the intersection of the wings. At a later period, a three-storey northern wing with Classicist decoration was also added.
The castle is built from brick and lime stone. It rests on a stone foundation and is surrounded by terraces from the east and the west. Individual parts of the castle are covered with various roofs: gable roofs (northern, southern, and eastern wings), tented roof (tower in the eastern wing), and a terrace with a parapet (tower at the intersection of the wings).
Façade from the Oder are articulated with two-level cloisters with high, semi-circular arcades on the ground floor level. The arcades in the upper floor are lower. Gable walls of individual wings are topped with following gables: eastern and southern walls with curved gables with triangular pediments (in the pre-war period, the southern wing was topped with a neo-Gothic three-stepped gable with crenellation), northern walls with a triangular gable and oval window openings. Façades of the southern and eastern wings are covered with smooth plasterwork and articulated with window openings. The northern façade is articulated with cornices, pilasters, and engaged columns. Corners of the towers are covered with rustication.
At present, the castle houses the Voivodeship Public Library in Opole, and its interiors are adapted for the purposes of that function.
The building is accessible to visitors. www.rogow.wbp.opole.pl//index.php?file=strona-glowna
compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 09-12-2015.
- Gaworski M., Atrakcje Euroregionu Pradziad. Zamki i Pałace, Prudnik 2009, s. 88-89.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Założenie zamkowe w Rogowie Opolskim, oprac. Gajda Ł., 2005, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Opolu.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.21674, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.15660