The parish Church of St Charles Borromeo, Radziądz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The parish Church of St Charles Borromeo

Radziądz

photo

A rural church designed in the Baroque style, erected for the funds provided by the von Harzfeldt family as a parish church intended to serve the needs of the newly established parish. The architecture of the church is reminiscent of the buildings erected in Bohemia by the members of the Dientzenhofer family of architects.

History

The church was erected in the years 1727-1735, with the funds being donated by the countess Marianna von Hatzfeldt and her brothers Franz and Anton Lothar, the latter of whom was the vicar general at the Wrocław cathedral. The church was intended to serve the needs of the newly established parish. The task of overseeing its construction was entrusted to Christoph Hackner, a master brickmason from Wrocław. The design of the building is attributed to the architect Christoph Tausch, educated in both Italy and Bohemia. The stonework decorations were crafted at the workshop of J. A. Karinger in Wrocław. The restoration of the church took place in years 1935, 1957 as well as towards the end of the 1990s.

Description

The church is located in the middle of the village, on the northern side of the road leading from Żmigród towards Milicz. It is surrounded by an old cemetery, no longer in active use. It is a single-nave structure with a rectangular chancel featuring a semi-hexagonal end section; a tower rises ahead of the western façade of the church, positioned on the middle axis thereof. A pair of annexes serving as the chapel and sacristy respectively flank the chancel on both sides. The four-bay nave was designed on a rectangular floor plan, its interior following the shape of an oval incorporating four interpenetrating ellipses, their edges marked by broad pillars adorned with pairs of concave pilasters, topped with concave sections of profiled entablature. Tall recesses reaching all the way up to the entablature and topped with semi-circular arches are positioned between the paired pilasters, with a window being set into each recess. The nave features a false trough vault with framework decorations consisting of structural arches and panels with convexo-concave edges. A pair of rooms designed on a spherical triangle plan, opening towards the nave and illuminated by flamboyantly shaped windows in the front façade, is located in the western corners of the nave, on the ground floor level. The chancel and the chancel annexes feature a flattened cupola ceiling and cloister vaults respectively. The façades of the nave and the chancel are adorned with framework decorations and partitioned with narrow pilasters. The nave windows are topped with bell arches and framed with eared sandstone surrounds. A two-storey tower is positioned in the middle of the three-axial front façade. The tower, partially blended with the main body of the church, is connected with the façade by means of volute-shaped, ornamental coping sections on both sides thereof. The ground floor level of the tower features rounded corners, while the corners of the upper storey are concave; the tower is crowned with a relatively low, four-sided pyramid roof. Small, flamboyantly shaped windows positioned on the ground floor level adorn the side axes of the front façade; above them rise the tall second storey windows, topped with bell arches. The entrance, positioned on the axis of the tower, is topped with a round arch and framed with a sandstone portal.

The church features a set of interior fixtures and fittings dating back to the year 1735 or thereabouts, exhibiting an admirable uniformity in terms of overall style; notable items include the main altarpiece, two architectural side altarpieces, the pulpit and the baptismal font as well as the altarpiece dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary which had once stood in the chapel. A stained glass window incorporating the coat of arms of the von Hatzfeld family graces the relatively small window in the southern wall of the chancel.

Unrestricted access to the churchyard. Interiors may be viewed upon arrangement with the parish priest.

compiled by Maria Czyszczoń, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 31-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Jung H., Christoph Hackner ein schlesischer Barockbaumeister, Breslau 1939.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, seria nowa, vol. IV, issue 2. Katalog zabytków sztuki, woj. wrocławskie, Milicz, Żmigród, Twardogóra i okolice, Warsaw 1997, pp. 70-73.
  • Wrabec J., Barokowe kościoły na Śląsku w XVIII w., Wrocław-Warsaw-Cracow-Gdańsk 1986.
  • Wrabec J., Architektoniczny język Dientzenhoferów czeskich na Śląsku, Wrocław 2004.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 733.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1. poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Radziądz
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district trzebnicki, commune Żmigród - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area