A monastery complex of the Piarist Order, currently Jacek Malczewski’s Museum, Radom
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

A monastery complex of the Piarist Order, currently Jacek Malczewski’s Museum

Radom

photo

The complex displays historical, artistic and landscape values. The buildings include Classicist features. Relics of the defensive walls of the city are located on the side of Wałowa Street. The feature is a dominating structure of the market square.

History

The Piarists were brought to Radom around 1682 and initially occupied several houses on the south frontage of the market square. The initial wooden church of St Martin was founded in 1684. A brick college and presbytery of the temple were erected in the years 1737-1756 to the design of Antonio Solari. However, the concept was not fully executed. In the years 1818-1820 a northern wing of the college and a Classicist front façade from the market square were erected. The brick nave of the church was built only in the years 1824-1825. A year later, the church was consecrated as of St John Cantius. From 1830 onwards, the college was a government-owned school, whereas in 1864 the order was completely disbanded. After 1873 the complex was adapted to secular purposes; however, in 1888 a tserkva was located on the first floor of the church. The fourth, eastern wing was added in 1892. Between 1927 and 1972 the building housed a Tytus Chałubiński gymnasium (later a secondary school). In 1976 the post-Piarist complex was taken over by the regional museum. Partially, the institution relocated there already in 1987, to complete the process of relocation in 1991. A thorough renovation of the complex was completed in 2008.

Description

The building is located on the south frontage of the market square. The feature is set on a pentagonal floor plan, approximating that of a square. It has an internal yard. A former single-nave church abuts on the front wing along the axis. The front façade with a four-column portico in the entrance part, crowned with a terrace with balusters. At the south-western corner, on the side of Wałowa Street, the remnants of an old Iłża Gate leading to the city and a city wall were incorporated to the complex.

In this building the Piarists ran a school that offered high-quality education. The college offered elementary and secondary education. In 1845 the Radom Governorate Gymnasium was opened in the building. The graduates include numerous outstanding figures, such as cardinal Mieczysław Ledóchowski, Tytus Chałubiński, Walery Przyborowski and Jacek Malczewski.

Currently the building hosts the Jacek Malczewski Museum. The constant exhibition is devoted to the history of Radom, includes relics of city walls as well as a model of the medieval city. The museum has one of Poland’s largest exhibitions of Jacek Malczewski’s paintings. The collection includes 40 paintings by that author, including “Poisoned Well with a Chimera”, “Self-Portrait with a Muse”, “Poisoned Well with a Self-Portrait.”

The museum is available for viewing from the outside; the interior and yard are accessible after buying the ticket.

Compiled by Bartłomiej Modrzewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 4-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Historia muzeum, Strona internetowa Muzeum im. Jacka Malczewskiego w Radomiu, http://www.muzeum.edu.pl/index.php/main/page/pg_flink/historia-muzeum/idpage/3, dostęp: 3.11.2014.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. III, Województwo kieleckie, red. J. Z. Łoziński, B. Wolff, z. 10, Powiat radomski, inwent. K. Szczepkowska, E. Krygier, J. Z. Łoziński, Warszawa 1961.
  • W. Wardyński, Zespół popijarski, karta ewidencyjna tzw. biała, Radom 1979.

General information

  • Type: monastery
  • Chronology: 1737-1756
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 11, Radom
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district Radom, commune Radom
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area