Saint Maurice parish church, currently the church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Zabytek.pl
Pyrzyce, pl. Ratuszowy
woj. zachodniopomorskie, pow. pyrzycki, gm. Pyrzyce-miasto
In the second half of the 13th century the nave body made of granite blocks was erected, on Greek cross floor pla, at the end of the 13th century - a granite tower from the West, in the first half of the 14th century - brick presbytery, single-nave, three-bay, closed with five sides of a decagon. In the second half of the 14th century the old nave body was demolished and a new one was built of brick in a pseudo-basilica layout. In the first half of the 15th century the gallery around the presbytery was built, with a tower on the axis. At the end of the 15th century side naves where extended at the sides of the western tower. In 1596 and 1634 the fires damaged the structure which was then reconstructed: in the years 1739-1743 Baroque tower domes were made, in the years 1850-1853 a neo-Gothic restoration according to the design of Carl Johann Bogislaw Luedecki from Wrocław was carried out. In February 1945 the church was demolished as a result of acts of war - the upper part of the western tower and vaulting collapsed. From 1958 the reconstruction was carried out: until 1960 - presbytery, until 1970 - nave body, in the years 1972-1977 - tower (design by Antoni Kąsinowski).
The church was situated in the centre of the town, to the South from pl.Ratuszowy. Gothic, on the plan of an elongated rectangle, closed from the East with five sides of an octagon. Three-nave, four-bay pseudo-basilica with a three-bay presbytery closed from five sides and surrounded with a gallery. From the West there is a rectangular tower with a porch in the ground floor and two porches at the sides. From the East there is another tower over the eastern bay of the presbytery gallery. In the western bay of the gallery on the southern side there is a separated sacristy. There is a gable roof over the body of the building, from the East, over the closing of the presbytery - a multi-hipped one. Western tower in the upper part was built during the times of the post-war reconstruction, it is crowned with a hip roof, eastern tower is covered with a flat roof. The church is made of brick in the Wendish and Gothic bond, the lower part of the tower and plinth of the nave body is made of granite blocks. The roofs are covered with sheet metal. The church is buttressed from the outside. In the western stone facade there is a neo-Gothic brick main portal. Side parts of the front facade and side facades have a separated plinth. In the southern side facade there are three Gothic portals leading to the side nave, sacristy and presbytery gallery. Windows in splayed, four-step reveals, divided by a brick bar tracery. On the presbytery facades there are almost flat buttresses, accentuated with pairs of slender, semi-circularly closed blind windows, crowned with a decorative gable with a round blind window. Eastern tower with narrow corner buttresses and high window framed by blind windows at sides.
Vaults over the presbytery, main nave and southern porch are stellar, over the gallery, side naves and northern porch - cross-rib. The pillars between the naves are octagonal, with separated plinths and impost surrounds. Arcades between the naves, openings and blind windows closed with a pointed arc. In the gallery the original buttresses of the presbytery with double blind windows crowned with a decorative gable. In the sacristy from the side of the presbytery there is an early Gothic portal with trefoil blind window embedded in the shape of the lancet. There is a late Renessaince tryptych from the chapel of Saint George in Gryfice in the presbytery.
Limited access to the historic building. The interior may be accessed upon the consent of the parish priest.
Prepared by Maciej Słomiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 2014.
Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria nowa, vol. 13: Województwo zachodniopomorskie, z. 1: Powiat pyrzycki, Warsaw 2013, pp. 164-169.
Lemcke H., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Regierungsbezirks Stettin, z. 7: Der Kreis Pyritz, Stettin 1906.
Ober M., Die St. Mauritiuskirche in Pyritz. Raffinierte Lichtführung in reduzierter Architektur, [in:] Badstübner E., Schumer D. (ed.), Studien zur Backsteinarchitektur, vol. 7: Licht und Farbe in der mittelalterlichen Backsteinarchitektur des südlichen Ostseeraums, Berlin 2005, pp. 56-70.
Rymar E., Pyrzyce i okolice poprzez wieki, Pyrzyce 2009.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_32_BK.112213