Arcaded house, Przemysław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A residential building in the traditional style that has grown to become the hallmark of the Żuławy region. This wooden arcaded house based on a post-and-beam structure forms an example of the so-called type 3 house (featuring an arcade projecting out of the longer side of the building) and constitutes a notable example of an adaptation of a ruined house to a new function, restored with painstaking attention to detail with respect to the original form and historical substance of the building.

History

The house was built in 1789 for the Jaeger family; the architect responsible for the design of the house remains unknown. The arcade in front of the house was most probably added a few years after the construction of the house, since the corbels of the cornice running underneath the eaves can still be seen beside the beams forming the arcade. A wooden utility building used for keeping livestock used to abut the eastern wall of the house, with a free-standing barn located further back. After the war, the barn was no longer extant, while the utility building was demolished before 1957 and replaced with a new, brick cowshed shortly afterwards. In 1960, the arcaded house was restored. After the year 2000 the building was acquired by a new owner, who demolished the post-war barn and conducted a comprehensive restoration of the structure, adapting to a new purpose so that it could serve as a guest house.

Description

The arcaded house is surrounded by a landscape typical for the Żuławy region, in a level area near the Szkarpawa river. The house is surrounded by other buildings, positioned some distance away; together, the buildings form a row village located by the earth banks, on the southern side of the road from Przemysław to Izbiska. The building is situated in the back section of a rectangular plot of land, partially obscured by old trees and a grove in the front. The longer boundaries of the plot are marked by water canals lined with vegetation. The house is the only surviving part of the former Dutch farm in which the residential building and the utility building used for keeping livestock were joined together, forming a single line.

The design of the house incorporates certain traits of both the Baroque and the Rococo style.

The building was designed on a rectangular floor plan, with a large arcade positioned asymmetrically at the front. The house features an interesting interior layout, with a two-bay arrangement and two vestibules - the front vestibule and the utility vestibule - positioned on the axis of the main entrance and connected to the so-called black kitchen in the centre of the house, the latter being so named due to the fact that it featured an open hearth, the smoke from the hearth rising up to an opening in the ceiling and escaping through the chimney. The house features a corner-notched log structure with exposed corner joints. It is a single-storey building with a basement and a tall gable roof. The arcade section, on the other hand, is a half-timbered, two-storey structure with yellow Dutch brick infills, covered with a gable roof. The roof ridge of this roof section is positioned perpendicularly towards the ridge of the main roof.

The front (southern) facade follows a six-axis design. The easternmost window features three separate sashes. A simple, single door made of wooden planks is positioned on the fourth axis. The door, divided into two panels, feature a pronounced, decorative lintel with a round arch and a carved inscription which reads „MDCCLXXXIX”. The projecting arcade is positioned on the axis of the main entrance, featuring six pillars with braces on the ground floor level and a first floor section with a simple arrangement of posts and beams. Above this section there is a single-axis gable featuring a sophisticated pattern of wooden beams, some of them positioned diagonally, others forming curved, decorative bands. In addition, the gable is framed with profiled boards with volute-shaped ends.

The northern (rear) facade follows a six-axis design; it is asymmetrical and clad with vertically positioned weatherboards. A door similar to that in the front section of the house is positioned on the third axis of the facade. The decoratively chamfered ceiling beams extend beyond the wall in the form of wooden corbels. The roof features four roof windows which are a modern addition.

The western facade of the main section of the building is symmetrical, clad with vertically positioned weatherboards; the ground floor level follows a two-axis design, with a single window in the gable wall above. The eastern facade features no openings whatsoever, having once adjoined a utility building. It features a firewall covered with plaster on the ground floor level and a gable covered with vertical clapboards above.

The interior was partially adjusted to the new function of the building; the two-bay layout with guest and utility vestibules was preserved, as was the central “black kitchen”. The surviving interior fittings include a built-in cupboard with a Rococo surround in the great hall and parts of door and window joinery (including two casement double windows with lead muntins, which were moved from their original location and form part of the interior decoration).

Limited access to the historic building. Private property; the structure can be viewed from the outside.

Complied by: Teofila Lebiedź-Gruda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 23.07.2014.

Bibliography

  • Kloeppel O., Die bäuerliche Haus-, Hof und Siedlungsanlage im Weichsel-Nogat-Delta, Danzig 1924, il. 82, 83, 84, 99.
  • Krzyżanowski L., Żuławskie domy podcieniowe - dokumentacja historyczna, Gdańsk 1962.
  • Lipińska B., Żuławy Wiślane - ochrona i kształtowanie zabytkowego krajobrazu, Nowy Dwór Gdański 2011.
  • Stankiewicz J., Zabytki budownictwa i architektury na Żuławach, „Rocznik Gdański” 1956/1957, t. 15-16.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Przemysław 4
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district nowodworski, commune Stegna
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area