Parish Church of St Aleksy, Przedbórz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Aleksy

Przedbórz

photo

An example of Gothic architecture (extension at the request of Casimir the Great).

History

The parish in Przedbórz was founded in approx. 1270. According to sources, the original church was built in approx. 1275 (some sources indicate 1278 as the construction date), founded by Bolesław the Chaste. It is said that the main nave was built then. The building was extended at the request of Casimir the Great in 1341. In the same period, a castle was erected at the request of the king, which, however, has not survived until today. In the 17th century, the church was partially destroyed in fires, and only the tower and part of walls survived out of the Gothic building. The remaining part was reconstructed in years 1640-1695. Two chapels were added then: the chapel of St Anthony and the chapel of St Nicholas. As a result of subsequent fires, part of the tower was destroyed and, in consequence, lowered. In 1885, during conservation works, a sacristy was built.

Description

The church is located in the centre of the town, on a low hill surrounded with a retaining wall made of stone. The church is oriented. It is made of brick. The tower, which is the highest and the most recognisable part of the structure, was built of stone. The church was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a three-bay main nave adjoined from the north by a two-bay side nave and a chapel, and by rectangular sacristies - old and new one - from the south. The chancel and the Gothic tower housing a porch were built on a nearly square floor plan. The chancel is lower than the nave. The roof truss is made of wood, and the roofs are mostly of gable type and covered with sheet metal, vaults are made of brick and present a variety of types: barrel vault in the nave, old sacristy, and southern chancel, groin vault in the northern side nave, and the chancel and the northern chapel are covered by small cupolas on pendentives.

The main element of the front (western façade) is a sandstone tower, which is octagonal in its upper sections. It is not plastered. Other façades are plastered and buttressed. In the gable of the northern nave, there is a relief showing Christ Blessing. The preserved interior fittings include epitaphs from the 19th century, Baroque altars, wall painting from the 1st half the 20th century, and stained glass windows.

The church can be visited throughout the year.

compiled by Anna Michalska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 01.10.2014.

Bibliography

  • Stolecki, Kościół św. Aleksego w Przedborzu, Kluczbork 2007
  • Wiśniewski J., Dekanat Konecki, Radom 1913 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna 1, Przedbórz
  • Location: Voivodeship łódzkie, district radomszczański, commune Przedbórz - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area