Villa of Abraham and Albert Fränkel, Prudnik
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Villa of Abraham and Albert Fränkel

Prudnik

photo

The villa belonged to the Fränkel family, the initiators of the textile industry in Prudnik. Max Pinkus, grandson of Samuel Fränkel, founder of a textile factory, gathered there one of the largest Silesian libraries. The collection was eventually transferred to several public libraries, but in the villa its traces have been preserved in the form of equipment of library rooms: wainscoting with built-in bookcases.

History

The family villa was built by brothers Abraham and Albert Fränkel in the 1870s. In 1903, their nephew Max Pinkus relocated the Silesian Library based in the neighbouring villa at the current 26 Piastowska Street. The collections of Silesians occupied half of the house in Nyska Street. The entire second floor and part of the first floor, facing the Nyska Street, were adapted for the needs of the collection, according to various records, consisting of 17 to 25 thousand volumes. The oldest documents forming part of the collection dated from the 13th century.

In the 1930s, as part of the anti-Jewish actions, the authorities of the Third Reich took over the collection of Max Pinkus and transferred it to the libraries in Wrocław and Racibórz.

Since World War 2, the villa belonged to Cotton Industry Plants "Frotex" and houses a company's nursery school. Currently, it is a private property.

Description

The villa is located in the street leading from the centre of the town to the former textile factory of Samuel Fränkel, right next to the villa of the Pinkus family that was built at the same time. To the west, they have a common forged fence.

The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan with a portico to the west and a semicircular avant-corps to the north. It consists of three storeys and a basement, and is covered with a hip roof with dormers to the north and south. Symmetrical articulation, restraint in the application of architectural details give the villa a monumental character. The façades are divided into the base course zone with basement windows, ground floor zone, and zone composed of upper storeys by profiled cornices. Each is covered with variously designed rustication (from less to more vivid). On the axis, the west façade facing Nyska Street is accentuated with a columned portico supported by a three-axial avant-corps, where an architrave and a triangular tympanum rest on Corinthian columns extending along two storeys. To the north and south, the central axis of the façade is embellished with pilasters in the Corinthian order.

To the south, over the columned portico with a side entrance, surmounted by two vases, on one of the pickled windows among floral motifs, there are initials A.F. indicating brothers Abraham and Albert Fränkel, who funded the construction of the villa and lived there for some time.

Inside there is a spatial layout and a part of the décor, fixtures and fittings, including those used by the Silesian Library.

Private property.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 28-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Baron A., Max Pinkus. 1857-1934. Śląski przemysłowiec i mecenas kultury, Opole 2008.
  • Chrząszcz J., Geschichte der Stadt Neustadt in Oberschlesien, Neustadt 1912.
  • Kulczyk P., Rzepiela U., Prudnik na dawnej pocztówce, Opole 2002.
  • Rathmann R., Neustadt in Oberschlesien, Berlin 1929.
  • Rzepiela U., Szymańska-Seyler S., Prudnik lat minionych. 1895-1935, Opole 2006.

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: 3 ćw. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nyska 2, Prudnik
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Prudnik - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area