Lower Gate Tower, Prudnik
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Remains of medieval town walls demolished in the 19th century.

History

Since the first half of the 14th century Prudnik was surrounded by fortifications: initially made of wood and earth, then masonry. The defence system was transformed and strengthened in 1556 and 1764, among others.

The town walls were pierced by three gates: medieval Upper (west) and Lower (east) Gate and Renaissance Capuchin Gate (south).

The ring of the walls ceased to serve its functions; therefore, in 1868 it was demolished to allow for the spatial and economic development of the town. The preserved remnants include only the Lower Gate tower and two fortified towers, which date from the 15th century. In the early 20th century, the tower was pierced by a passage for pedestrians. Conservation work in the early 21st century uncovered keyhole embrasures, which had been covered by plaster.

Description

The Gothic tower is located in the eastern part of the town. Originally, it accompanied the Lower Gate (demolished in 1868) and had no passage. The structure adjoins a three-storey tenement house (19th century) added to the south-east. The lower two-storey part of the tower has a plan in the shape of a square, which gradually turns into an octagon in upper sections. The tower is built of field stone and brick, and — above the ground floor part — it is plastered, surmounted by crenellations and a masonry conical cupola. The façades embellished with rustication feature regularly arranged embrasures. The façades on the ground floor bear discernible traces of alterations and rearrangements and the façades facing the street show a structural arch which is a remnant of the non-existent gatehouse.

The interior of the tower is not open to visitors.

compiled by JS, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Chrząszcz J., Geschichte der Stadt Neustadt in Oberschlesien, Neustadt 1912
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki (eds.), issue 12: Powiat prudnicki, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1960
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Lutsch Hans, Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, Tl. 2, Breslau 1894
  • Weltzel A., Geschichte der Stadt Neustadt in Oberschlesien, Neustadt 1870
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, collective work, Warsaw 2006.

General information

  • Type: defensive architecture
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Małachowskiego 2, Prudnik
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district prudnicki, commune Prudnik - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area