Palace - Zabytek.pl
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. lwówecki, gm. Gryfów Śląski - obszar wiejski
An excellent example of the Late Baroque architecture of Lower Silesia, the palace used to serve as a country home of one of the branches of the renowned Silesian magnates - the von Schaffgotsch family.
The building was erected in the years 1799-1800 at the initiative of Johann Nepomucen Schaffgotsch; initially conceived as the administrative centre for the surrounding estate, the palace was built using materials reclaimed during the demolition of the nearby Gryf castle. The palace underwent renovation works in the 19th century and in the early 20th century. In the second half of 20th century, the building served as a holiday resort and then as an office building for the nearby State Agricultural Holding (PGR). Today, the palace is in private hands. The structure is in very good technical condition, having undergone restoration somewhere around the year 2010.
The building is located in the southern part of the village, on the eastern side of the main road, south of the landform known as Zamkowa Góra (Castle Hill) and the ruins of the Gryf castle. The palace is a mixture of the Baroque and the Classicist styles. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a two-storey structure made predominantly of stone with some brick elements, featuring a converted attic which now serves both residential and utility purposes. It has a compact, cuboid body covered with a mansard roof clad with ceramic tiles and enlivened by the presence of jerkin heads and dormer windows. A square turret topped with a cupola with an openwork lantern can be seen jutting from the middle of the roof ridge. The eastern façade features a shallow, three-storey, three-axial avant-corps crowned with a triangular tympanum. The façades feature a plaster finish and follow an eleven- and four-axial layout respectively. All façades are partitioned with pilasters. The ground floor section is rusticated. The windows, framed with plain surrounds, are rectangular in shape, with the exception of the avant-corps windows which are topped with segmental arches. In addition, small oculi can be seen in the gables of the side façades as well as in the tympanum which crowns the avant-corps. The main entrance, located on the ground floor level, in the middle of the avant-corps, is preceded by a terraced portico with two pairs of square pillars; the entrance itself if framed by a stone portal with a flamboyant outline. Some of the rooms inside the palace feature original plasterwork decoration.
Next to the palace lie the remains of a decorative garden and a utility orchard, flowing seamlessly into the nearby landscape park from ca. 1800, covering about 5.5 hectares of land, including the nearby Castle Hill. In 1994, almost 30 trees were illegally felled; fortunately, in 1997 works have started with the intention to renovate the park after years of neglect.
The palace is in private hands and may only be explored upon prior appointment.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 25-03-2015.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 260,
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 702.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_ZE.25902, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_ZE.9613