Castle, Prószków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The castle in Prószków was the second, after the castle in Brzeg, Renaissance residence in Opole Silesia in which a cloister yard was applied.

History

In 1560, the trade settlement of Prószków was granted town rights, and in 1563, at the initiative of Jerzy Prószkowski (who received the title of baron in 1562), the construction of the castle was started. In 1624, the castle, which boasted with a very voluminous library and a theatre and music rooms, was visited by the royal court.

In 1644, the building was burned down by the Swedish army. It was reconstructed in the years 1677-1683 with the original layout of the Renaissance structure mostly preserved. However, the interior layout was altered, as well as the shape of the façades - cloisters were installed, among other things, and the towers were added in the front façade. In addition, stucco decoration in the rooms intended for the eyes of guests and the chapel was created.

In 1769, after the death of Leopold Prószkowski, the castle became property of the von Dietrichstein family, and in 1783, the estate in Prószków along with the castle was bought by Frederick II the Great to include it into the royal estate. In the years 1845-1847, the castle was transformed for the purposes of an Agricultural Academy, and in the years 1887-1922, it was used as a Catholic teachers' school. In 1930, it was adapted for hospital purposes (it was called then Shelter of St Joseph). The hospital was run by Hospital Sisters of the Order of St Francis. In 1952, the institution was nationalised and from that time, the castle has been housing a Social Welfare Home.

Description

The castle is located in the south-western part of the town, in a meander of the road running from Opole to Prudnik. Initially, it was a defensive structure connected with fortifications with the Prudnicka Gate and circumscribed by a moat (dried out already in the 17th century) used presently as a utility yard. The castle site can be accessed by a stone bridge with a solid balustrade, erected on the axis of the front façade.

The building was erected on a quadrilateral floor plan with an internal yard and corners shaped as avant-corps. The central section of the front façade is embraced by two quadrangular tower, overlooking the castle body. The castle is made of brick and rests on a high brick foundation. It has three storeys. Its towers are five-storeyed and topped with tented roofs. The wings are covered with varied roofs: gable roof (northern and southern wing), mixed roof (western wing), and squat roof (eastern wing).

The avant-corps corners are covered with rusticated strips. Façades are articulated with cornices between storeys and rectangular window openings with label stops. The façades of the western wing are covered with a strip sgraffito decoration (uncovered and partially reconstructed during the conservation works in 2010). On the axis of the front façade, there is a gate portal with an inscription coat of arms (plaque commemorating the completion of the construction works), and above, at the level of the second storey, there are two coat of arms cartouches of the Prószkowski family.

The interiors of the castle are of a single-bay type. They were re-designed numerous times and adapted for the changing function of the castle. The architectural fittings of the castle (vaults, portals), as well as stucco decoration in the knights’ hall and the chapel, have been partially preserved.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the castle is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-12-2015.

Bibliography

  • M. Gaworski, Atrakcje Euroregionu Pradziad. Zamki i Pałace, Prudnik 2009, s. 136-137.
  • Heinrich E, Pawełczyk A., Zarys dziejów Prószkowa, Prószków 2000.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - Zamek, Prószków, oprac. D. Stoces, 2004, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: castle
  • Chronology: 1563 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zamkowa 8, Prószków
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district opolski, commune Prószków - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area