Parish Church of St Nicholas, Prochy
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Nicholas

Prochy

photo

The church is an interesting example of wooden ecclesiastical architecture in Greater Poland. Along with the surrounding graveyard and buildings, it forms a complex of high landscape value. Built in the 2nd half of the 18th century, it still has the original fittings from the late 18th and early 19th century. It is situated at the “District Tourist Trail of Michał Drzymała — Wooden Churches of the Grodzisk District”.

History

The oldest written sources, dating from 1380, mention a church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Nicholas, and the Discovery of the Cross, which was founded by five Proski brothers: Sambor, Jan, Stanisław, Stępota, and Maciej. The first church, made of wood, according to written sources, was probably built in c. 1641; another church, mentioned in 1725, was described as having a frame structure. The present building (which replaced a previous church building) was erected in the 2nd half of the 18th century. In 1861, two brick chapels were added: the Gothic Revival Chapel of Mary the Mother of God, built owing to the efforts of Adam Broel-Plater, and the Chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The church underwent renovations in 1962, 1982 (when the window frames were replaced), and 2007 (when the roof, roof truss, and walls were conserved and the area around the church was paved with granite setts).

Description

The wooden church is located on the edge of the village, by a road to Zielęcin and Ruchocice, on the slope of a small hill on top of which there is a rectory. The church is accompanied by a steel tower bell, a tomb chapel of the Opaliński family, and a graveyard enclosed with a brick wall.

The church is oriented to the east. It has a wooden log structure resting on a stone and brick wall base. The exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. It is adjoined by two chapels having brick plastered walls. On the west side, there is a wooden tower having two storeys, with the upper storey being narrower than the lower one. The tower, built on a square floor plan, has a post-and-beam structure, tapering towards the top, and is topped with a Baroque onion-shaped roof surmounted by a lantern with a sheet metal cupola.

The church has one nave and no aisles. The chancel terminates in a semi-hexagon. There is a sacristy behind the chancel. The nave is adjoined by two square chapels, one on the north side and the other on the south side, forming a type of transept. The church has a complex structure. The main body of the church is topped with a gable roof, passing into a multi-pitched roof on the east side, covered with wood shingles. The brick chapels are topped with gable roofs of a similar size to the roof over the nave; they are covered with red roof tiles. The windows are headed by basket-handle arches and framed by profiled surrounds. In the east wall, there is a round window.

Inside the church, there is a flat ceiling constructed in 1953. On the profiled rood beam, there is a crucifix from the 19th century. Wide pointed arches separate the chapels from the nave. The preserved original church fittings include: the main altar from the 2nd half of the 19th century with sculptures of Saints Peter and Paul and a painting of St Nicholas; a painting of Mary with Child in one of the chapels; a Late Baroque pulpit, a Baroque-classical baptismal font from the late 18th century, and an iron door from the 2nd half of the 18th century, with an old lock, leading to the sacristy.

The historic monument is accessible. Visiting the church inside is possible by prior telephone arrangement. More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website of the Poznań Archdiocese: www.archpoznan.pl

compiled by Radomiła Banach, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 4-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • J. Łukaszewicz, Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej diecezji poznańskiej, Poznań 1858, s.473.
  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 212-213.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 10:dawny powiat kościański, Warszawa 1980, s. 83-84.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2. poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Szkolna 1, Prochy
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district grodziski, commune Wielichowo - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area