The Imperial Railway Station, Poznań
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Imperial Railway Station



The Imperial Railway Station was built as a welcome pavilion on the occasion of the visit of Wilhelm II Hohenzollern and his family to Poznań in August 1913. It is characterised by valuable architectural details, decoration, and interior fittings. What is also interesting is its role in the history of Poznań and Greater Poland. On 26 December 1918, Ignacy Jan Paderewski was solemnly welcomed there. His arrival encouraged patriotic feelings in the citizens and contributed to the outbreak of the Greater Poland Uprising.


The first imperial station pavilion was created in 1902. The present building along with the platform roofing was built in its place in 1913, in connection with the third visit of Wilhelm II Hohenzollern and his family to Poznań in 1913. It was most probably designed by an architect from Berlin, Stendel. It was used in line with its intended purpose only once.

When Poland regained independence, it was still used for representative purposes. On 26 December 1918, Ignacy Jan Paderewski, arriving in the capital city of Greater Poland, was welcomed here. His visit and the speech delivered by him to the citizens from the balcony of the Bazar hotel, encouraged patriotic feelings and contributed to the outbreak of the Greater Poland Uprising on 27 December 1918. In 1919, Chief of State Józef Piłsudski was welcomed at the station, and in 1923 - President of the Second Republic of Poland Stanisław Wojciechowski.

In the interwar period, the former imperial station was used by the citizens of Poznań travelling by train to summer resorts: mostly Puszczykowo and Promno. In was started to be called Summer Station then.

After World War II, the former imperial station was used ever less often, and over time, it was forgotten. Not renovated or secured, it started to fall into ruin.

In the years 2010-2011, it underwent conservation and modernisation works. The renovation included façades of the pavilion, interior decoration, and surviving fittings, e.g. a crystal chandelier. The original form of the roof was restored. The surviving original external and internal oak woodwork underwent renovation. The roof over the platform shelter was repaired and its cladding replaced. Also the station’s surroundings was put in order.


The Imperial Railway Station, also called Summer Station, is located in the centre of Poznań, on the western side of Dworcowa Street connecting Kaponiera Roundabout with the building of the former main railway station.

It is comprised of a brick pavilion and a shelter protecting the adjacent platform, currently no. 4b. From the east, it is preceded by the paved path of Dworcowa Street and the entryway in front of the southern part of the platform shelter.

The neo-Classical pavilion on a rectangular floor plan is a single-storey, cuboidal building made of brick. It rests on a granite plinth. It is plastered, with an avant-corps in the north-western corner. The pavilion is covered with a high hip roof clad with beaver tail roof tiles in the graphite colour, giving way to a separate, three-sloped roof over the avant-corps.

The eastern (front) façade has three axes. The middle axis is formed by a rectangular door opening in a niche, with a semi-circular fanlight flanked with Ionic pilasters and framed by two rectangular window openings. The northern façade has five, southern façade - four, and western façade, from the platform side - three axes. All façades are partitioned with vertical, fluted pilasters with plain bases and capitals, and with rectangular panels. The northern, southern, and eastern façades are circumscribed in the top section by a wide frieze comprised of square panels with medallion and shields and sumptuous stucco decoration.

The interior of the pavilion is divided into three rooms: imperial lounge with lavish decoration and fittings, with oak wood panelling in the lower section of the walls which in the top section are covered with wallpaper and stuccowork, guest room, and bathroom.

From the west, the pavilion is adjoined by a shelter approx. 90 m long, protecting the platform (currently platform 4b). It is formed by a barrel roofing with coffer concrete ceiling with glazed skylight, resting on a steel framework filled from the east - with panels in the lower section, and in the upper section - with windows with lattice partitions. In its northern and southern part there are rectangular door openings ensuring direct access to the platform.

The historical building is accessible, it was used in line with its intended purpose only once.

compiled by Anna Dyszkant, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 28-10-2014.


  • Atlas architektury Poznania, Poznań 2008, s. 113.
  • Bielawska-Pałczyńska J., Dworzec cesarski w Poznaniu, „Kronika Miasta Poznania”, 2013, nr 4, 113-124.

General information

  • Type: railway infrastructure
  • Chronology: 1913 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dworcowa 1, Poznań
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district Poznań, commune Poznań
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area