Cemetery of the Roman Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and St Florian in Jeżyce, currently the Jeżyce Cemetery of the Roman Catholic church of Christ the Good Shepard, Poznań
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Cemetery of the Roman Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and St Florian in Jeżyce, currently the Jeżyce Cemetery of the Roman Catholic church of Christ the Good Shepard

Poznań

photo

The cemetery from the early 20th century, with a regular design divided into quarters, modelled on landscape gardens and parks. The cemetery chapel and numerous gravestones that have survived in the cemetery constitute valuable examples of funerary art from the 1st half of the 20th century. There are also historic trees within the cemetery area.

History

In 1894, the parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and St Florian was established at Kościelna Street in Poznań. Soon thereafter, its first parish priest, Walenty Kolasiński, undertook efforts to create a parish cemetery. For that purpose, in 1903, agricultural land on the western verge of Jeżyce was purchased. The necropolis was opened in 1905. It was characterised by a regular layout divided into quarters, with the main path and the chapel on the axis, as well as landscape design of the greenery, modelled on formally designed gardens and parks. Analogical solutions were employed in designing other Poznań graveyards which came into being at that time, including: Górczyńskiego cemetery (1910) and Corpus Christi cemetery at Bluszczowa Street (1912). In the north-western part, residential and utility buildings were erected for the cemetery administrator.

In 1923, there was a need to extend the borders of the necropolis to the west and to delineate the second path, parallel to that on the axis of the original complex.

In 1932, the monument of Gratitude was founded, dedicated to the parishioners that died in World War I, Greater Poland Uprising, and Bolshevik War in 1920. The authors of the design were Lucjan Michałowski and Władysław Walter. The monument was located where the main path started.

During the 1950s, the cemetery chapel was converted according to a design by architect Władysław Szmyt - the semi-circular apse on the south was replaced with a chancel with a straight ending section. In 1961, the cemetery was closed and no longer used for burial purposes, and the chapel, which was initially a filial chapel, was transformed ten years later into a Pastoral Centre. After establishment, in 1981, of the parish of Christ the Good Shepard and building a church for it in the years 1982-1986 on the north-western verge of the cemetery, the original function of the chapel was restored.

In 1995, the cemetery was re-opened and entrusted to the parish of Christ the Good Shepard. In the same year, regeneration, renovation, and conservation works lasting three years were commenced, which included, among other things, the cemetery gate and chapel, as well as the monument of Gratitude and many grave stones.

Description

The graveyard is located in the western part of the city, in the Jeżyce district, in the quarter delimited by the streets Nowina (from the north), Piękna (from the west), Miodowa (from the south), and Szpitalna (from the east). It is shaped as an irregular rectangle with an area of 5.5 ha, divided into three main parts by the main path planted with lime trees on the axis, and the parallel path planted with birches in the western part of the cemetery, connected with paths perpendicular to them. The cemetery is circumscribed by a cast iron fencing from Nowina Street and by a wall from the west and the south. It can be accessed by a monumental cast gate with two leafs installed on openwork piers and a semi-circular upper section with a cross on the top.

In the place where the main path starts, there is the monument of Gratitude of 1932, designed by Lucjan Michałowski and Władysław Walter, with the sculpture of Jesus the Merciful standing on an orb, on a cylindrical plinth crowing a polygonal, rusticated pier.

In the southern part of the main path, there is a cemetery chapel, made of brick, with a cuboidal body, covered by a gable roof, originally closed from the south with an apse, and currently, after the conversion in the 1950, by a rectangular chancel. Its architectural style and the layout of the front façade are similar to the parish church of the Sacred Heart of Christ and St Florian at Kościelna Street. The front façade, with a door opening with a semi-circular top section on the axis, is topped with a triangular gable resting on lesenes framing the façade, separated from the lower section by a plain cornice and and decorated with a stepped frieze. In its central part, there is a round blind window with a cross in the middle. The side (eastern and western) façades are analogical, three-axis, articulated with lesenes connected in the upper section with a false corbelled frieze, on which the crowning cornice rests.

In the cemetery, there are many historical Art Nouveau and Modernist gravestones originating from the 1st half of the 20th century, as well as cast fencings surrounding the oldest graves, e.g. those of the Betz family (1906), and Nowiszewski, Janowicz, Boreziak, and Stelomaszewski families from the years 1909-1911. The unique and valuable examples of the works of funerary art include monuments, sculptures, and medallions designed, among others, by Adam Ballenstaedt (grave stone of Ignacy Mackiewicz, MD, died 1917), Czesław Woźniak (sculpture on the grave of Pelagia Haendschke, died 1959), Krystyna Dąbrowska (brown medallion on the grave of Jureczek Prymke, died 1929), and Wawrzyniec Kaim (marble medallion on the grave of Maria Lidia Cofta, died in 1929).

There are historical trees preserved on the graveyard, mostly including: lime trees, chestnuts, oaks, hornbeams, elms, ashes, birches, and wattles, as well as yews, pines, spruces, and larches.

compiled by Anna Dyszkant, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 7-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Hałas H., Cmentarz parafii Najświętszego Serca Jezusa i św. Floriana na Jeżycach, „Kronika Miasta Poznania” 2002, nr 1, s. 160-184.
  • Zabytkowy Cmentarz Jeżycki w Poznaniu, założony w 1905 roku, pod red. Węckiej A., Poznań 2012.

General information

  • Type: Roman Catholic cemetery
  • Chronology: 1905 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nowina 1, Poznań
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district Poznań, commune Poznań
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area