Palace and park complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. nowotomyski, gm. Lwówek-obszar wiejski
Erected according to a design by a renowned architect, Stanisław Hebanowski, surrounded by an older Baroque park, it is exceptional both in terms of architecture and the décor of the interiors. The park in Posadowo is the only one in Greater Poland preserved without major changes, bearing features of formal design.
Beginnings of Posadowo date back to the Middle Ages. The oldest mention comes from the 15th century and concerns the then owner — Mroczek of the house Leszczyce. In the late 16th century, Posadowo was owned by the Rozbicki family, and then - by Cielecki and Trąmpczyński families. After that, the village along with the Lwówek property became property of the Pawłowski family. At that time, there was a small wooden manor house here, described in the inventory of 1709. In 1729, the construction of a new manor house was commenced, however the building was not finished. The next owner of Posadowo, husband of Jadwiga Pawłowska, Franciszek Garczyński, initiated, in 1740s, the construction of a new manor house. However, little is known about that building either. After the death of Garczyński, the estate became property of the second husband of Jadwiga Pawłowska - Józef Łącki, Korzbok coat of arms. Since that time, Posadowo had remained with the Łącki family for 180 years. The surviving French garden was created owing to the efforts of Józef Łącki who in 1759 concluded an agreement on its creation.
In 1842, the Baroque manor house in Posadowo was consumed by fire. In the years 1846-47, the then owner, Antoni Łącki, founded another residence. However, it did not satisfy the needs and ambitions of the next owner, a renown social and political activist, Władysław Łącki. Władysław decided to build a new one. Sources indicate 1870 as the date of commencement of the construction. The author of the design of the palace which has survived until today was a renown Greater Poland architect - Stanisław Hebanowski. Because of the construction of the palace, the existing park was partially transformed and - in accordance with the fashion prevailing at that time - extended by a landscape part. The property of Władysław Łącki was inherited by his son Stanisław, who, in the years 1909-10, ordered to introduce some changes in the palace and the park (minor alterations and renovation of the palace, new retaining walls of the terraces, balustrades and bridges, transformation of the courtyard in front of the palace), and significantly developed the breeding of horses, carried out in Posadowo since 1770. The horse breeding farm of Posadowo, the largest in Poland, was known at that time throughout Europe.
Following World War II, the property was taken over by the State Treasury and handed over to a State Horse-Breeding Farm. In 1976, preparatory works were commenced to renovate the residence. The palace was to house the Horse Museum. Works conducted from 1980 were stopped in 1989. Until 1999, the host of the property was a horse breeding farm. Currently, the palace and park complex has been recovered by the heirs of the former owners.
The palace and park complex is located in the northern part of Posadowo. It comprises the palace, located in the centre of the complex, and the surrounding park. The main entrance leading to the large courtyard with a driveway to the palace is located on the southern side. On the western side, there are utility buildings of the former manor farm. Behind the palace, there stretches a regular French garden which farther gives way to a landscape park. The complex covers an area of 10.6 ha.
The palace in Posadowo has been built on a rectangular floor plan, with four towers in the corners (three square and one round), adjoining the body in various ways. From the south and north, rectangular central avant-corps enrich the palace's plan. It is a single-storey building with a basement and a residential attic covered by a mansard roof. On the south and north, there are avant-corps covered with gable roofs, and from the east, there is a loggia preceded by a semi-circular terrace, topped with a false wooden barrel vault. The entire structure is dominated by tall, three-storey towers, topped with tented roofs of various shapes, with flags.
The walls of the palace are made of brick and covered with plaster. The roofs and tented roofs of the towers were originally clad with slate which, during the renovation in the 1980s, was replaced with sheet metal. The basement rooms feature surbased vaults. The residential rooms and the rooms intended for the eyes of guests have wooden ceilings with counter ceilings.
In the articulation of the façades, horizontal partitions dominate (strongly projecting string courses between storeys, crowing cornice), balanced by the verticality of the towers. The wall planes are filled with architectural decoration - window surrounds of various shapes, reminiscent of Renaissance and Mannerist forms. The avant-corps are preceded by colonnaded porticos, over which there are terraces. In the gables topping the avant-corps, there are, inter alia, coats of arms of the founders. (Korzbok of the Łącki family and Drogosław of the Skórzewski family). The loggia on the east features painted decoration with a vine motif. In the roof planes, there are windows in lavishly decorated dormers.
The interior features a three-bay layout, with a strongly pronounced design axis determined by the hall, oval vestibule, octagonal armoury, and drawing room. In side sections, there are: staircase, dining room, library, chapel, and residential rooms. Among the rooms, the armoury encompassing two storeys, covered with a ceiling with a skylight, draws particular attention. Individual rooms are adorned with artistic stucco decoration whose forms are reminiscent of the French Classicism and provide background for numerous paintings and historical memorabilia collected in the palace. The design of decorations expresses patriotic contents and the history of the house.
The oldest part of the park is the Late Baroque formal park, shaped as an elongated rectangle and stretching along the north-south axis, descending in terraces to the north. The terraces are surrounded by a double line of hornbeam and lime trees. On the retaining walls surrounding them, and on the balustrade near the palace and bridges, vases and sphinx sculptures are set. On the main axis, there is a path with stairs, which crosses the transverse path on the upper terrace. Along the paths, a couple dozen yew trees were planted, cut in varied geometric shapes. On another terrace, there are two large oaks. On the northern side, the park is enclosed by an elongated pond, transected by a transverse channel. From the north, east, and west, the formal park is surrounded by old-grown trees of the later landscape park. One can find here, among others, old oaks, beeches, ashes, silver poplars, black poplars, Canadian poplars, elms, small-leaved limes, a chestnut and a plane tree.
The historic monument is inaccessible. Private property.
compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 27-11-2014.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 14: powiat nowotomyski, Warszawa 1969, s. 33-34.
- Krzyślak B., Rezydencja Łąckich w Posadowie, „Kronika Wielkopolski, 1994, nr 3(70), s. 69-83.
- Polanica G., Park w Posadowie, „Kronika Wielkopolski, 1994, nr 3(70), s. 85-90.
- Skuratowicz J., Dwory i pałace w Wielkim Księstwie Poznańskim, Międzychód 1992, s. 77-82.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.169741