Church of St. Michael the Archangel, Pisarzowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Church of St. Michael the Archangel

Pisarzowice

photo

Built in the late 13th century, the church in Pisarzowice is one of the structures effectively resisting the destructive effect of time. The church features architectural details and interior design elements from Gothic cross-rib vaults through a Renaissance tombstone with the figure of a knight, and on to nineteenth-century stained glass windows made by A. Redner from Wrocław. In addition, in the village there is a late Baroque palace which is now a private property.

History

In 1285, the village of Pisarzowice, then called Villa Scriptoris, belonged to Duke Bolko of Opole; the earliest mentions of the village, where two mills and the then church of the Holy Trinity were located, date from that period. In the mid-15th century, the village was destroyed, and the church was burned by the Hussites. From 1538 Pisarzowice were owned by the Janikowski family, and in 1561 the village was bought by Nikolaus Lassota von Steblau, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Opole and Racibórz. At that time, the church was extended by a chapel and a porch with a Renaissance gable. Nikolaus Lassota died in 1585; on one of the walls there is still his tombstone depicting a knight. After his death, ownership of the village passed into the hands of the Protestants, and in 1646 it became part of the assets of the Oppersdorff family based in Głogówek.

In 1848, Pisarzowice became an independent parish. The church was extended and the dedication of the church was changed from that of the Holy Trinity to St. Michael the Archangel.

Description

The church is located in the centre of the village, in an area surrounded by a stone fence with openwork spans. To the west of the church, there is a cemetery.

The church is oriented towards the east, with a rectangular two-bay nave and a chancel closed off on three sides. On the north and south side of the chancel, there are rectangular rooms — chapel and sacristy. On the axis of the church, to the west there is a quadrangular tower, which adjoins lower rectangular annexes on both sides (the northern annex equal to the tower in width and the narrower southern one is fitted with stairs).

The church is built of brick and stone, buttressed, and smoothly plastered. The nave is pierced by window openings surmounted by round arches; the annexes and the ground floor of the tower feature rectangular window openings. The church is covered with a saddle roof (nave and porch), multi-faceted roof (chancel), and shed roofs (chapel, sacristy, and annexes).

The west façade of the church is three-axial, with a dominant tower located on the central axis and lower annexes on the side axes. On the lower storey, against the background of a double pointed-arch blind window, there is a rectangular entrance opening. On the second storey, the tower turns from a quadrangular structure into an octagon with window openings which are alternately round and surmounted by a round arch. The tower is covered with an octagonal cupola with a lantern. The south façade of the church in the tower part is decorated with a double pointed-arch blind window. In the first bay of the nave from the side of the tower, there is a porch surmounted by a Renaissance gable with volutes.

The church in Pisarzowice is a one-nave building with a chancel separated from the nave by a pointed rood arch. The chancel and the nave are covered with cross-rib vaults with ribs extending onto the walls of the nave in the form of supports; the chapel and the porch are topped with groin vaults, while the sacristy and the space under the tower with barrel vaults and barrel vaults with lunettes. The western bay features a music gallery.

As the building itself, the fixtures and fittings of the church date from various periods, starting from the preserved Gothic-Renaissance wooden crucifix through the Renaissance tombstone of the governor of the Opole district from the last quarter of the 16th century, on to the neo-Gothic pipe organ casing and figurative stained glass window from the late 19th century made by A. Redner from Wrocław.

The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the interior is possible by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 29-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 6: Powiat krapkowicki, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1963, pp. 21-22.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, pp. 311-312.
  • Kałuża H., Dzieje parafii Brożec i okolic, Brożec-Nysa 2009, pp. 190-191.
  • http://www.dokumentyslaska.pl/epitafia/miejscowosci/krapkowice%20pisarzowice.html (10.12.2014)

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: koniec XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Pisarzowice 6
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district krapkowicki, commune Strzeleczki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area