Evangelical church, Pasym
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church

Pasym

photo

A Gothic parish church, one of the earliest churches built in the Middle Ages in southern Mazury, with very well preserved interior fittings, reflecting history of the town and church throughout their whole life cycle.

History

The church of St. Barbara in Pasym belonged to the Arch-presbyterate in Biskupiec. Researchers differ in opinions as regards the date of construction of the brick church. The older literature assumes that the construction was started in the 4th quarter of the 15th century (body) and continued in the beginning of the 16th century (two lower storeys of the tower). In more recent research, it is assumed that the body of the church was erected already in the late 14th century, two lower storeys of the tower — in the 15th century, and the third storey of the tower, sacristy, and the new eastern gable — during the 16th century. After the secularisation of the Teutonic Order State and creation of the Duchy of Prussia, in accordance with the principle cuius regio, eius religio (whose realm, his religion), town inhabitants converted into Lutheranism, changing their church into an Evangelical temple. In the second half of the 16th century, the parish covered 19 localities, and a hospital for the poor and a Latin school were operated at the church. In 1750, a great fire destroyed a significant part of the town, the church included. The church tower was lowered then by one storey and covered with a dome. The porch on the southern side of the body was converted by adding a volute-shaped gable to it. In years 1765–1775, the church interior was thoroughly renovated. During the Napoleon campaign, stables were arranged in the church, and many elements of church fittings were used as fuel. The church in Pasym, as one of few in Mazur, has been functioning as an Evangelical church up to this day.

Description

The church is located on a small elevation by the bank of the lake Kalwa, in the south-western corner of defensive walls. The surrounding area is fenced, including from the north by a section of the former defensive walls. The building is Gothic, with a porch with a Baroque gable from the south. A single-space body on a plan of an elongated rectangle with a chancel facing north-west, is preceded from the west by a square tower. On the north, there is a sacristy on a plan of an elongated rectangle, divided into two rooms, and on the south — an entrance porch on a square plan. The body is massive, compact, and buttressed, covered with a high, gable roof. The tower is covered with a hip roof featuring concave surfaces. The façades are lavishly divided by pointed-arch windows and blind windows (some blind windows are plastered; there are rows of double arcades in the sacristy). On the axis of the souther façade, there is the porch with a pointed-arch entrance opening and a volute-shaped gable; the sacristy and the eastern façade of the body are topped with stepped gables. The rich interior fittings include items originating from the Gothic era to the 19th century. By the altar, there are Gothic choir stalls originating from the late 17th century, the main altar is Baroque and originates from 1673, with painting from 1713 (the works founded by the mayor with his wife), the ambo is from 1680, the pipe organ was made in the early 18th century in the workshop of a renown pipe organ master from Königsberg, Johann Josua Mosengel (it was converted later) and are placed in a lavishly decorated organ casing, painted and gilded in 1744 (hence the date on the casing).

The historical building is accessible. It may be visited upon prior appointment.

Compiled by Marzena Zwierowicz , 5.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstndenkmäler der West- und Ostpreussen, bearb. Von M. Antoni, München 1993, s. 466.
  • Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Ostpreussen. Untersuchungen zur Frage der Kunstlandschaft und -Geographie, Petersberg 2007, s. 638-639.
  • Liżewska I. , Kościół ewangelicko-augsburski w Pasymiu, „Rocznik Mazurski”, 1996, t.1, 56-61.
  • Łyjak W., Jedno oblicze a trzy odsłony organów w Pasymiu, „Warmińsko-Mazurski Biuletyn Konserwatorski”, 2001, t.3., s.181-188.
  • Rzempołuch A., Przewodnik po zabytkach sztuki dawnych Prus Wschodnich, Olsztyn 1992, s.135-136.
  • Wawrykiewicz L., Skarżyńska-Wawrykiewicz M., Storczykowe więźby dachowe kościołów powiatu szczycieńskiego, „Rocznik Mazurski”, 2010, t. XV, s. 219-232

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1465-1505
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Pasym
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district szczycieński, commune Pasym - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area