Gothic town hall in Pasłęk, Pasłęk
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Gothic town hall in Pasłęk

Pasłęk

photo

An example of Gothic and Renaissance public building constituting a unique architectural solution using arcades.

History

The first stage of construction of the town hall, consisting in erection of the body with the stepped turret, was carried out in the second quarter of the 14th century. As part of the second stage — conducted in the second half of the 15th century — the southern section of the building along with arcades was built. Ca. in 1556, the town council room received a vault. The late-Renaissance gables were built approx. in 1650, and the steeple was installed in 1713. In the second half of the 19th century, the Gothic style was restored to the arcades, and the western façade and blind window surrounds were renovated. In 1934, the staircase was renovated. Due to military operations during the war in 1945, the town hall was destroyed in 80%. In 1958, the building underwent architectural examination, and in years 1959-1960, it was reconstructed.

Description

The building of the town hall is made of brick and erected on a rectangular floor plan sized 18 x 11 m. It is located at Chrobrego Street, used as a marked in the Middle Ages. The structure features two storeys and rests on basements covered with barrel vault. In the representative, southern façade of the town hall, there are arcades with multi-stellar vaults. Over the arcades, there are two pointed-arch windows, and above them, a plastered gable of late-Renaissance profile. Originally, the ground floor housed two indoor markets with groin vaults, and on the first floor, there was a town council hall.

The historical building is accessible. It houses a library.

Compiled by Adam Mackiewicz, 6.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Preussenland, Petersberg 2007, s. 658-660.
  • Mroczko T., Arszyński M. (red.) Architektura gotycka w Polsce, Włodarek A. (red.) Katalog Zabytków, t. II, Warszawa 1995, s. 182.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 2 ćw. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Pasłęk
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district elbląski, commune Pasłęk - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area