The cemetery church of Saint Roch, Parzęczew
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The cemetery church of Saint Roch

Parzęczew

photo

Typical example of the vernacular ecclesiastical architecture. The only wooden church in the region of Łódź erected at the beginning of the 17th century.

History

The church of Saint Rock was not until now the object of detailed research, thus a lot of information concerning its history should be deemed as hypothetical. Owing to this, the historical site gets even more interesting. The erection date of the Saint Roch’s church is not known - most of the sources dates it back to the beginning of the 17th century, however, some of them state that this happened as early as at the end of the 16th century. The church was to be initially located in Ignacew or Chociszew, but it was moved to Parzęczew in the 17th century. Then it was placed within the area of the cemetery of cholera, which with time turned into the parish, located at the southern border of Parzęczew. This was the third Catholic temple in this town - apart from the parish church and a small church of Saint Adalbert (damaged at the beginning of the 19th century). Cemetery church mainly served as the place for holding funeral ceremonies. In the years 1800-1805 it took over a part of duties of the parish church, when the new, palatial church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was being erected in the centre of Parzęczew.

Description

The church is situated in the north-western part of the cemetery, opposite the main entrance. It was constructed of larch wood on the field stone and erratic boulders foundation. It is an oriented building, tetragon-shaped in plan, with a narrower, polygonally closed presbytery. The walls are supported on a log structure. The western wall has an entrance and is covered with weatherboards. The sacristy adjoins the body of the temple. Gable roof is crowned with a small steeple, is covered with wood shingles, with pronounced eaves. The interior of the temple is covered with a flat ceiling - modern, similarly to the window frame woodwork. In the western part above entrance there is a choir gallery. The church was not reconstructed much. The trace of entrance on the northern wall is the only element left of the former porch. The equipment is not uniform, mostly moved from other churches. The main elements of the interior design are three Baroque altars - the main altar of the 17th century and two side altars of the 18th century. There are following painting in the altars: of the Virgin Mary of the Rosary with Saint Dominic (19th century), of Saint Roch - patron of the church (18th century), of Saint Joseph (20th century), Saint Anthony (date of origin - unknown). The church is decorated with the sculptures of Saints, including the small Gothic figure of Saint Adalbert, dated back to the 15th century. The balustrade of the choir gallery and the pews and confessionals of the 18th century are also worth noting. Decorative fittings on the double, planked main door of the 19th century were preserved.

Limited access to the historic building. The interior may be visited upon consultation with the parish priest or during the mass.

Compiled by Anna Michalska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 08.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. 2: Województwo łódzkie, Warszawa 1954.
  • Serwik J., Jak miła, Panie, jest świątynia Twoja, „Niedziela” 2000, no 44.
  • Serwik J., W cieniu parzęczewskiej Golgoty, Parzęczew 2003.
  • Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, vol. 7, Warszawa 1886.
  • Wiktor J., Parzęczew - dzieje osady i gminy, Warszawa 1984.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: poczatek XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: św. Rocha 1, Parzęczew
  • Location: Voivodeship łódzkie, district zgierski, commune Parzęczew
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area