Evangelical chapel, Paruszowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical chapel

Paruszowice

photo

Built probably in the 15th century, the chapel in Paruszowice features fixtures and fittings dating from various epochs, starting from the Gothic period through the Renaissance period and on to the Baroque and Rococo/Classical period.

History

The first mentions of the chapel in Paruszowice date back to 1376; however, the present building was built probably in the 15th century. Its location in a village situated at a short distance from the owner's seat may suggest that it was founded by them as a manor chapel. In the 19th century, part of the chapel underwent alterations, which involved bricking up window openings on the south side. In 1974, the chapel was refurbished to prevent further damage. During the Reformation, it was used by Evangelicals, and over time the nearby cemetery was converted into a Protestant one. Today, the chapel serves as a filial church for the Evangelical parish in Wołczyn.

Description

The chapel is located in a cemetery in the south-eastern part of the village. The area of the cemetery is separated from a manor park located to the east by a partially preserved wall.

The chapel was built on a floor plan in the shape of a rectangle similar to a square. It is made of field stone and split stone with brick architectural details in the form of window and door opening surrounds, sills, and with a brick crowning cornice. It is covered with a tall hip roof surmounted by a slender steeple with a window with tracery. The roof plane over the entrance is pierced by a triangular window.

The chapel is oriented towards the east with a pointed-arched entrance located in the west wall. Originally, the chapel had another entrance on the south side, which was bricked-up probably during the nineteenth-century alterations. Every remaining façade is pierced by one window opening; the openings are topped with pointed arches.

Inside the chapel, there are fixtures and fittings dating from various periods. The oldest item is the Gothic triptych with carved figures of Mary with Child and the holy virgins: Dorothy, Barbara, Catherine and Margaret (the statues were stolen in 1995), and painted wings. In addition, the chapel is fitted with a Renaissance baptismal font from 1674, pulpit (1711) made in Byczyna, and a Baroque crucifix. A nineteenth-century wooden ceiling has also been preserved.

The monument is open to visitors.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 11-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 4: Powiat kluczborski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1960, p. 41.
  • Architectural monument record sheet - Evangelical filial chapel in Paruszowice, prepared by D. Stoces, 2009, Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole.
  • http://www.dladziedzictwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/o%C5%82tarz-w-Paruszowicach2.jpg (11.08.2015)

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Paruszowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Byczyna - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area