St Lawrence parish church complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. kujawsko-pomorskie, pow. mogileński, gm. Dąbrowa-gmina wiejska
The church forms part of a trail of wooden places of worship which survive in the Pałuki region. Its wooden structure remains a valuable example of fine craftsmanship.
The village of Parlin was established somewhere around the year 1300, on the basis of the so-called Środa Śląska law, a local variant of the German town laws. The local parish is believed to have been formed during the same period. The first mentions of the village in written sources date back to the year 1357, when it remained the property of the Gniezno chapter. The first, wooden church was erected in 1357. In 1383, the village was ransacked during the conflict between the Grzymalit and Nałęcz noble families. The church was reconsecrated in 1566. The existing church was erected in the 17th century, at the initiative of the Gniezno chapter. Its interior décor, on the other hand, dates back to the years 1746-1792 and was created during the times of reverend Antoni Bronowski, the erstwhile parish priest. The free-standing bell tower was erected towards the end of the 18th century or in the first half of the 19th century. The church was renovated in 1859, while new wood shingle roof cladding was added ten years later. In 1912, a rectory was erected in the immediate vicinity of the church. In 1923, a steeple jutting from the roof ridge was added. The church was renovated once again in 1939. In 1965, the existing wood shingle cladding was replaced with roof tiles. The original roof cladding was restored in the course of comprehensive restoration works performed during the final decade of the 20th century.
The church is situated in the centre of the village, on the southern side of the Mogilno-Sucharzewo road. The complex consists of a church, standing on a small hill and oriented towards the east, as well as an openwork wooden post-and-beam belfry situated in the south-eastern part of the yard. The churchyard is framed by a line of lime trees. South of the churchyard lies the garden, with a rectory at its centre.
The Baroque church was designed on a rectangular floor plan, with a single-nave main body and a slightly narrower chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination, its walls being of the same height as those of the nave. An octagonal steeple from 1923 rises above the roof ridge of the main body. A sacristy adjoins the northern façade of the chancel. The southern façade of the main body is preceded by a square porch.
The church stands on brick and stone foundations; it is a wooden log structure, with the exception of the porch, which features a post-and-beam structure instead. The walls of the entire building are covered with weatherboards. The sacristy stands out from the rest of the building due to its brick structure; its walls are covered with plaster. The roofs and the steeple are clad with wood shingles. The front façade follows a straight line and features a rectangular entrance door positioned on its middle axis, topped with a triangular pediment. The side façades are pierced with small, rectangular windows, with a porch covered with a shed roof positioned on the southern side. The interior is a single, open space with a slightly narrower chancel section.
The Late Baroque interior décor consists of three altarpieces - the main altarpiece and the two side altarpieces positioned near the rood beam, which is surmounted by a crucifix from the first half of the 16th century.
The rectory has the appearance of a traditional, residential building, its form inspired by early modernist architecture. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it features a cuboid, single-storey body with a basement and a habitable attic, covered with a tall half-hip roof with wall dormers nesting underneath small, mono-pitched rooflets. The building stands on foundations made of granite blocks, its walls made of solid brick and covered with plaster on both sides. A wooden verandah adjoins the northern façade of the house. The roof is clad with beaver tail roof tiles arranged in a lace pattern. The façades feature a smooth plaster finish devoid of decorative detailing, pierced with rectangular windows. The entrance is positioned on the second southernmost axis of the front façade. A small avant-corps projects from the central section of the southern façade, while the northern façade is adjoined by a quadrangular, single-storey wooden verandah with small-paned windows. The interior retains its original, two-and-a-half-bay layout with an inner hallway, surrounded by various rooms. A trio of original tiled stoves provides a period touch.
Limited access to the historic building. The church is open during church service. The rectory may be viewed from the outside. Bell tower open to visitors.
compiled by Bogna Derkowska-Kostkowska, Historical Monument and National Heritage Documentation and Popularisation Department of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Cultural Centre in Bydgoszcz, 26-11-2014 - 8-11-2014.
- Record sheet, parish church of St Lawrence, compiled by Iwona Jastrzębska-Puzowska, Bydgoszcz 1994, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Toruń, branch office in Bydgoszcz (ul. Jezuicka 2).
- Record sheet, Bell tower of the church of St Lawrence, compiled by A. Frąckiewicz, Bydgoszcz 2004, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Toruń, branch office in Bydgoszcz (ul. Jezuicka 2).
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. XI: Dawne województwo bydgoskie, issue 10: Mogilno, Strzelno, Trzemeszno i okolice, compiled by Białowicz-Krygierowa Zofia, Warsaw 1977, pp. 53-55.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_04_ZE.38903