Parish Church of Sts. Peter and Paul - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. nyski, gm. Pakosławice-gmina wiejska
The church was erected in the second quarter of the 13th century. It was dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul in 1491. In modern times, the one-nave body with a chancel terminating in an apse was extended by the addition of a tower covered with a cupola. The nave, so far covered with a ceiling, was vaulted (for this purpose the peripheral walls of the nave were supported by buttresses). In the early 19th century, the tower was altered or extended upwards, and a sacristy was added to the chancel. A new portal, painted decorations in the interior and probably door joinery were made during the conservation works in 1932-1933.
The church is located in the eastern part of the village, surrounded by a small cemetery with tombstones from the early 20th century. It is fenced with a sixteenth-century stone and brick wall. The late Romanesque building is oriented towards the east and consists of one nave and a narrower chancel terminating in a semicircular apse. The buttressed nave adjoins a Classicist tower to the west. The porch and the sacristy were built at a later time. The nave and the chancel are covered with gable roofs, while the tower is topped with a pavilion roof. The church is built of brick and field stone (Romanesque part in the so-called opus emplectum technique); architectural details were made of granite. Before the construction of the tower, the stone portal in the west wall of the nave was originally an external portal. Its form allows to date the construction of the church to the second quarter of the 13th century: pointed-arch single-stepped structure with a pair of columns on pedestals. Disk-shaped column capitals are framed with roll-mouldings and, below, decorated with a cord-like ornament. The negative trace on the archivolt is a remnant of a roll-moulding resting on capitals.
The façades are plastered (a stone bond of the wall is uncovered in the sacristy); window and door openings are topped with arches. Over the main entrance, in the niches surmounted by semicircular arches there are stone statutes of patrons of the church (early 19th c.). The eastern wall of the sacristy is fitted with a stone epitaph of parish priest Mechse, died 1606.
The interior featuring a modern décor is covered with vaults, with the chancel topped with a cross-rib vault (2nd quarter of the 13th c.). The western part of the nave is fitted with a wooden choir supported by pillars (1st half of the 19th c.). Fixtures and fittings including pulpit, baptismal font, stoup, date from the early 19th century.
The monument is open to visitors.
compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki (eds.), issue 9: Powiat nyski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1963.
- Kozaczewski T., Kozaczewska-Golasz H., Portale trzynastowiecznej architektury na Śląsku, Wrocław 2009.
- Kutzer P., Kirchengeschichte von Ziegenhals, Ziegenhals 1932.
- Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, Tl. 1, Breslau 1890.
- Świechowski Z., Architektura na Śląsku do połowy XIII wieku, Warsaw 1955.
- Świechowski Z., Katalog architektury romańskiej w Polsce, Warsaw 2009.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, collective work, Warsaw 2006.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.19030, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.21466