Historical cemetery, Paczków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Preserved tradition of the site — necropolis of medieval origin. The cemetery is located on the site of the monument of history: Paczków - Old Town Complex with a Medieval System of Fortifications.

History

The cemetery dates back to the times when Paczków was only a small merchant settlement. It was linked with the Church of Corpus Christi and St. John the Evangelist that existed as early as the 13th century. The cemetery could be accessed from the so-called wicket gate of the dead in the inner defensive wall near the parish church leading from the town. The cemetery was extended several times; the last extension was in 1835. In 1561, it was surrounded by a stone wall. Burials were made until 1874 (with a break in 1572-1633), when a new necropolis was opened in Zawadzkiego Street. At the end of World War 2, a late Renaissance cemetery church was destroyed. Plans for the development of the cemetery in the form of a park have not been implemented so far.

Description

The former necropolis is located south of the town walls, between Sienkiewicza Street and Wojska Polskiego Street. Currently, it is neglected and partly overgrown. In the brick fence to the north and west, there are extensively damaged nineteenth-century tombstones and family tombs devoid of inscription plaques. On the whole site there are also fragments of stone sculptural details. In the central part, there is a Church of St. John the Evangelist preserved as a permanent ruin.

The cemetery is open to the public. The entrance leads from the planted area.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Christ E., Patschkau aus der Geschichte meiner Heimatstadt, Dülmen 1989
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 9: Powiat nyski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1963
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, Tl. 1, Breslau 1890
  • Mohr H.G., Schiller L., 1254-2004.750 Jahre Patschkau. Die Geschichte der Stadt Patschkau in Schlesien, Osnabrück 2004
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, collective work, Warsaw 2006.

General information

  • Type: Roman Catholic cemetery
  • Chronology: XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sienkiewicza, Wojska Polskiego , Paczków
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Paczków - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area