Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Ostrowite
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene

Ostrowite

photo

A unique example of Gothic ecclesiastical architecture having very few direct counterparts in the entire region.

History

Erected between 1276 and 1310, the church was subsequently heavily damaged during the war against the Teutonic Ordered and reconstructed somewhere around the mid-15th century. Later on, in the first quarter of the 17th century, the church was redesigned. Renovation and regothicisation of the church took place in the year 1900 or thereabouts. Later on, further renovation works were carried out in the years 1966-1967.

Description

The church is located in the …… part of the village. It is a single-nave church designed in the Gothic style and oriented towards the east. Erected on a rectangular floor plan, the church is adjoined by a square tower on its western side. The lower portions of the walls of the nave are made of stone, while their upper parts are constructed using brick. The tower, the eastern gable and the modern porch are all brick structures. The walls, positioned on stone foundations, are reinforced with corner buttresses, with the upper sections thereof, made of bricks arranged in the so-called Gothic bond, reaching all the way up to the string course. Inside, the church features a wooden beamed ceiling, with a barrel vault used for the sacristy. A groin vault is present in ground-floor section of the tower. The nave is covered with a gable roof, while the tower features a butterfly roof. All roof surfaces are clad with roof tiles. The southern façade is topped with a stepped cornice. On the middle axis of the façade there is a porch with a double entrance door. The porch is topped with a triangular gable. The façade is punctuated with regothicised pointed-arch windows. The design of the northern façade mirrors that of its southern counterpart, albeit with no entrance or porch being present. The eastern façade of the church features a single, pointed-arch window. Above the crowning cornice rises a Late Renaissance gable, separated from the rest of the façade by a narrow skirt roof. The gable is adorned with four rows of blind windows topped with segmental arches. The ornamental silhouette of the façade coping, consisting of volute-shaped and quarter-circular sections, features a profusion of small, decorative pinnacles. At the very top there is a semi-circular pediment topped with a pyramid-shaped finial. The four-storey tower takes pride of place on the middle axis of the western façade, its lowermost storey separated from the rest by a string course, with the remaining storeys being separated by smooth, plain friezes with a plaster finish. The middle axis of the tower is accentuated with window openings and blind windows, topped with semi-circular arches. At the very top of the tower rises an openwork roof parapet, punctuated by a row of segment-headed openings on each side. The decorative finials which adorn the coping of the roof parapet provide the finishing touch. The nave is a single, open space with a beamed ceiling; a barrel vault and a groin vault are used for the sacristy and the tower vestibule respectively. The fixtures and fittings include a number of Gothic reliefs, with St John the Evangelist being among the Biblical characters portrayed.

Property of the parish; the building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Olga Wróblewska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń.

Bibliography

  • Diecezja toruńska, Historia i teraźniejszość, vol. 7, Dekanat Golub, Toruń 1994, pp. 57-61.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: przełom XIII/XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ostrowite
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district golubsko-dobrzyński, commune Golub-Dobrzyń
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area