Palace, Osiek Grodkowski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

The palace in Osiek Grodkowski was built in the early 18th century, incorporating 16th-century fragments of an earlier structure. It was altered in the second half of the 19th century based on a design by a Silesian architect, Alexis Langer. It is an example of a Baroque residence based on a strict axial composition.

History

The palace in Osiek Grodkowski was extended in the 1st quarter of the 18th century using fragments of an earlier, 16th-century building (fragment of the ground floor walls and part of the vaults in the eastern wing). The Baroque style of the residence was additionally accentuated with the composition of the entire palace complex, based on the entre cour et jardin layout. The palace was subsequently owned by: baron v. Hund und Alt-Grottkau, baron v. Fragstein and in the end, by count v. Koenigsdorff.

During the 1820s, the palace was owned by: Carl Christian Lachmann and Kurt v. Ohlen und Adlerskron. By order of the latter, in the 3rd quarter of the 19th century, the palace was re-designed once again. On the basis of a design by Alexis Langer, a neo-Gothic cloister was added around the internal courtyard, and the décor of some rooms was altered.

In 1900, the palace was bought by Hans Paridam v. Knesebeck-Millendonc. After 1945, the estate was nationalised and until the 1970s, the palace housed residential premises for the workers of a State Agricultural Holding (PGR). Currently, the building is not used.

Description

The building is located within the boundaries of the palace and manor farm complex situated in the eastern part of the town. It is surrounded by a park, and to the south-west of it, there are manor farm buildings.

The palace is built on a rectangular floor plan, with a rectangular internal yard circumscribed by a neo-Gothic cloister and a small avant-corps in the middle part of the northern façade. Entrances to the palace are located on the northern and southern side; they are preceded by a flight of stairs. The building is made of brick and plastered. It has two storeys, with basements underneath each of its wings. The interior layout is of single-bay type, with an enfilade (slightly altered in the second half of the 20th century). It is topped with a gable roof made of two-coloured slate forming a geometric pattern. Its ridge is embellished with metal and ceramic pinnacles and dormers.

External façades are articulated with rectangular window openings with plaster surrounds and a plain cornice between storeys. The corners are embraced with pilasters; in the bottom section there is rustication, plain in the upper one. The front façade has seven axes, divided according to a pattern 2:3:2. On the axis, in the central avant-corps, there is an entrance to the palace in a flat pilaster portal topped with a pediment. The entrance is preceded by double stairs and flanked with semi-circular niches. Above the entrance, there is a terrace. The park (northern) façade has eleven axes with rectangular blind windows on the outermost ones.

The stone decoration of internal façades (cloisters) presents a full range of neo-Gothic forms, from bar tracery in various window openings, through gargoyles and supports shaped as masks, to pinnacles, crockets, and an arcaded frieze. On the level of both storeys, the cloister is covered with cross-rib vaulting with keystones.

The interior of the palace was slightly altered. The preserved historical décor includes the following fittings: part of door joinery, stucco decoration of ceilings and tile ovens, and shields with the initials of Alexis Langer and the date of completion of the re-designing works (1883).

Limited access to the monument. The palace is located on private property.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 13-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Zapomniane zabytki. Dwory i pałace wiejskie południowej Polski. Śląsk Opolski, t. 2 , Molak E., Racławicki I. , Opole 2011, s. 211-223
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Pałac w zespole pałacowo-folwarcznym w Osieku Grodkowskim, oprac. Sawiński J., 1997 r., Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1. ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Osiek Grodkowski
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Grodków - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area