Arcaded house, Orłowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

It is one of the distinctive group of arcaded houses erected by the builder Peter Loewen. The fact that Loewen designed the house has been proved by an inscription on the headwall of the arcade and in the lintel of the front door.

History

The house was built in 1802 by the builder Peter Loewen for Cornelius Froese (PETER LOEWEN/ BAU MEISTER/ CORNELIUS FROESE BAU HERR • ANNO 1802). Originally, the house was located in the area of a large farm which included: a cowshed, a pigsty, a granary, and a large barn and a bakery building, the one closest to the house, closing the area from the north-west. In about 1916, the interior of the house was partly transformed, and before 1945, the weatherboarding and windows on the side gable were replaced. The post-war use of the house by two families led to the introduction of additional partitions of the interior and complete destruction of the utility (back) arcade. In 1959, conservation works of the arcade were carried out, but due to negligence in the following decades, around 2000 the house was in a terrible condition. In 2012, a new owner started comprehensive renovation works, first taking care of the arcade inclined from the vertical axis. The renovation of the structure and the façade of the building has been completed; the interior is undergoing renovation.

Description

The historical structure is situated in the western part of the village within an artificial terp hill and approx. 300 meters from the main road, situated side-gabled to it, with its arcade facing the south-east. Originally, the house was part of a large farm the remaining elements of which are ruins of the cowshed and the pigsty. In the classification of arcaded houses, it is regarded as the so-called 3rd type and represents the final stadium of evolution of those buildings. The Classicist stylistic convention merges in its décor with the former, Late Baroque decorations. The one-storey building with a basement was erected on a rectangular floor plan and has a high gable roof that covers two storeys. On the front wall axis, there is a two-storey arcade resting on 4 posts (2 additional posts on each side of the arcade); the roof ridge of the arcade is perpendicular to the roof ridge of the building and has the same height. The ground floor (both the external and internal walls) is wooden and was erected as a corner-notched log structure on brick foundation. The walls of the first floor over the arcade and the walls of the attic feature traditional timber framing with brick filling. Over the roof, brick walls of a dark kitchen give way to a round chimney. The wooden ceilings above the basement are partly ceramic on steel beams; the roof truss is wooden and collar (two levels of collars), and the roof is covered with pantiles. The symmetrical front façade has seven axes, with three central axes (with the main entrance) framed with a four-post arcade. The supports of the arcade have a form of columns with bases and stylised Ionic capitals, typical for Loewen. The entablature of the arcade has a smooth beam of the architrave, a frieze filled with small yellow bricks, and an uncharacteristic volute-shaped profiled cornice. This volute-shaped motif was repeated additionally on the level of the cap beam and gave the building a very distinctive and highly individualised character. The portal is framed with columns on high plinths, there are Ionic-stylised capitals, and sculpted entablature with an inscription on the frieze. The two-leaf and three-field door has grooved panels and rosette decorations. Windows are rectangular, framed and split, with six panes. The interior features a two-bay and three-route layout. In the front façade, on the axis of the arcade, there is a vestibule, and on its right and left side there are, respectively - a small and a large room. In the rear bay, there is an utility vestibule with stairs leading to the attic. In the middle part, there is a black kitchen, and other rooms are located on the sides of the building. On the first floor of the attic, there are three rooms, the central one is in the arcade, illuminated through windows from three sides. In the interior, there is partly preserved door joinery with grooved leaves, a stone floor of the utility vestibule, and fragments of painted wall decorations.

Private property. The building may be visited from the outside.

compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 20-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • Stankiewicz J., Piotr Loewen - budowniczy żuławski, „Ochrona Zabytków” 1956, z. 1-2, s. 73-87.
  • Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: początek XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Żuławska 66, Orłowo
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district nowodworski, commune Nowy Dwór Gdański - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area